Reinfection risks in re implantation after 8 months?

I had breast implant last December. I had MRSA (Staphylococcus aureus) infection while I was removing hematoma in a re surgery. After that I had seroma and I removed the implants after 2 months 14 feb. I will have a breast implant again this month (23 of November). What are the risks that the infection comes back again. What are the procedures to avoid infection? My plastic surgeon prescribed antibiotics 3 days before the operation and he will put surgical drain during the operation for 5 days.

Hopefully no drain

I am sure he will put you on the appropriate abx to cover the MRSA that lived in your breast pocket(and maybe still does). Hibiclens rinse for 3 days prior to surgery would be a good idea also. Avoiding the use of a drain if possible bc it is essentially a tract/hole that could be an entry point for bacteria post-op. Good luck

I am sorry to hear of your MRSA experience.  Having the assistance of an infectious disease specialist to evaluate you before surgery may be useful. I would want to know if you are a carrier of MRSA. If you are, caution such as body washes, pretreatment with antibiotics and application of Bactroban to your nostrils would be advisable.  If you are not a carrier then I think the risk of recurrent infection is small.  I would suggest that you speak to an infectious disease specialist however if possible.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Bacterial re-infection

Since oftentimes the patient's skin is the carrier for the methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus, it seems prudent to me to take all precautions in reducing the bacterial flora of the skin. Bactroban can be placed into the nose with a Q-tip  a couple of times a day and Chlorhexidene can be used to shower and cleanse the skin for at least a week prior to surgery. A Keller funnel might be useful in disallowing the implant from touching the skin. Other than that, good surgical technique would certainly help. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS