Do I have gynecomastia or is it just fat?

well i am fat i am 16 years old and i am 166 cm and i am 79 k,g, i feel under my nipples its pretty hallow so do i have gynecomastia or not

Doctor Answers 6

Normal and Adolescent Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions.
Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood.
Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question.  Your best bet is to get evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon.  The good news is that it may resolve on its own by the time puberty ends.

Tim Neavin, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 53 reviews

Gynecomastia or Fat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. It is difficult to determine if you have gynecomastia without an in person evaluation. I recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Jeremy A. Benedetti, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Do I have gynecomastia or is it just fat?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
really important to send a picture along with a question like this. It's a very commonly asked question. The point is if it does not resolve on its own as you get older it will require surgery to correct. It can be done through a tiny incision inside the armpit avoiding the scar around the front of the chest to remove gland tissue if its present. Hope it gets better on its own. Good luck.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia or not

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is hard to tell without seeing out in person or at least photos. If your breast size is minimally enlarged in proportion with the rest of you then it may be some simple fat tissue that will resolve with weight loss and as you reproportion as you get taller. However if your breasts are out of proportion then you should consider having them reduced. I do a lot of these cases with quite a few in teenagers. Most of the time with just liposuction and a tiny one stitch scar off to the side of the breast area. Good luck.                   Dr Vann

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.