Gynecomastia. Could you help me? (Photo)

Hi, I'm 18. I have gynecomstia since i was 13-14 years old and nothing changed till now, could you help me please?

Doctor Answers 10

Gynecomastia. Could you help me? (Photo)

Thank you for your question. I would recommend an in person consultation. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 288 reviews

Gynecomastia removal

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

Gynecomastia surgery

To correct the gynecomastia and improve the true gynecomastia your only option is surgical excision of the gland

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 74 reviews

Normal and Adolescent Gynecomastia

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions.
Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood.
Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Gynecomastia, can you help?

Thank you for your question!  It is not uncommon for gynecomastia to begin at the age of 13-14 years.  Surgical removal of the gland along with liposuction is the best treatment for gynecomastia.  You would go home the same day as your surgery.  I recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon and request to see before and after pictures.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Gynecomastia. Could you help me?

Can I help your gynecomastia? You bet. This would require an incision just between the lower part of your areolar and the skin, and through this incision, the breast tissue would be removed. The scar is almost imperceptible once fully healed. In some cases liposuction can be used with the excision to achieve a smoother result.  It does require a general anesthesia in most cases. Other than the need to wear an Ace binder around the chest, the recovery time is minimal.

Gynecomastia is a very common problem, and I am amazed that men are not lined up to get it corrected, as most are embarrassed by it. Most men simply don't know correction is possible. Congratulations on pursuing help, and best of luck to you.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

Gynecomastia. Could you help me?

I am sorry to hear about the concerns your chest wall appearance has cause you beginning at an early age.  Given the  persistence of what you are describing as gynecomastia, it sounds like surgical correction will be your best option.

 Of course, accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate  as uncomfortable as gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. 

Generally speaking, liposuction surgery alone is useful to treat lipomastia (an enlarged chest secondary to adipose tissue); rarely does it suffices as the only modality of treatment when it comes to treating true gynecomastia. Most patients with gynecomastia benefit from direct excision of glandular tissue plus/minus peripheral liposuction surgery.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,487 reviews

Gynecomastia NYC

Hard to say for sure from your photo, but you may have gynecomastia treatable with just liposuction. Surgery takes 1-2 hours .  Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Teenage Gynecomastia Treatment

Unfortunately, if your gynecomastia has not improved yet, it is unlikely it will go away at this point. Most of my teenage patients come to see me starting around age 18 for correction. It is very hard to see what your gynecomastia looks like from the picture you provided. I'm going to make an assumption you have mild gynecomastia (but would need better pics to know for sure), which can be treated as an in-office procedure under local anesthesia. A minimal semi-circle incision would be placed in the margin of the areola. The incision fades over time and become vertically undetectable. This is a straight-forward procedure which will give you  permanent result and you will never have to be bothered by the problem again. If you choose to pursue surgery, be sure you go to a board-certified plastic surgery who specializes in gynecomastia. And, be sure to see before and after photos. Any true specialist should have a large gallery. 

Joseph Thomas Cruise, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 89 reviews


There is little likelihood you will "grow out" of this issue. It's readily treated by a minimally invasive operation which can be done through a tiny spot inside your armpit. Make sure you visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area and you will feel a lot better about it.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon
3.8 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.