Could I have gone bigger with my slim upper half? (Photos)

Id appreciate an opinion on whether I could've gone bigger with my BA? My main goal for BA was balancing out my hips. My surgeon suggested 320cc moderate profile silicone polytechnic and under the muscle. I felt choosing the size was a rushed decision as it had to be done in the consult there and then so that the surgeon could order my implants for surgeory the next morning. I should note that I am nearing 9 weeks post op, I also feel that the left boob is quite smaller than the right.

Could I have gone bigger with my slim upper half?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery.  Online consultants, not being there during surgery, will not be your best resource when it comes to answering your questions specifically; your plastic surgeon will be able to address your question/concern much better.

Having said that, it is true that a patient's anatomic starting point will determine, to a great degree, what can be achieved with breast augmentation surgery.   However, exactly how/where the breast implant "pocket" is dissected and which breast implant size/profile is selected may play a big role when it comes to final aesthetic outcome achieved.

If you remain concerned about breast size, revisionary breast surgeon will likely be possible to increase breast size further. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D or DD cup” or "more projection etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers). Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient.  Having a wide variety of breast implant sizes and profiles available in the operating room is helpful in my opinion.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Implant size

The size of implant is largely based upon measurements your surgeon takes of your chest and breasts during your exam.  It is also based on your skin quality.  I would need to compare before and after pictures in order to comment on any size differences.  Please realize that almost every single woman has one breast that is slightly larger than the other.  It is difficult to say how much bigger you could have went without actually measuring your body.  If you have concerns about the size of implant that was selected, the best advise is to consult with the surgeon who performed your surgery.  

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon