Bell's palsy face lift? (photos)

7 years ago, when I was pregnant with my first child, I experienced what I know now to be Bell's Palsy. As you can see from the photo, my nostrils, upper lip, and cheek/jawline appear crooked. What sort of procedures do I need to fix this? A facelift? Fillers? Thank you for your time and advice!

Bell's palsy face lift?

Considering the fact that you have had a Bell's palsy your parents is excellent and you have a beautiful face.

However I do see the slight laxity on one side  and  a facelift can significantly improve this.  One other possibility is the careful use of Botox on the normal side to attempt to create symmetry with the left side however this can be very difficult to accomplish and you need to see an expert.  For more information please read the following length:

Facial Asymmetry After Bell's Palsy

Great question. I am a facial plastic surgeon who specializes in treating patients with various forms of facial paralysis. I recommend that you seek the help of a highly specialized facial nerve expert like myself, who will be able to assess you and see what procedure would be most beneficial for you. Seeing as that you have a history of Bell’s palsy, I caution you not to go to just any surgeon for advice. It’s important for the person who is treating you to have an extensive knowledge of the facial nerve and how to help with these residual symptoms that you have described. I help patients like yourself on a regular basis who have unfortunately been left with facial asymmetry caused by Bell’s palsy. I would be happy to speak with you about this in more detail during a consultation (either in person or via Skype).

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

How to fix #Bell'spalsy asymmetry

The best way for you to fix the asymmetry is with botox and fillers. You are very young and beautiful and surgical interventions can help but usually do not completely resolve asymmetry. 

Best to be seen in person

It is best to be seen in person where a board certified plastic surgeon can examine you and determine if a facelift or some other procedure could be used to improve your appearance.  Understand that your right and left face will always be a little different no matter what you do.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Bells Palsy Options

There are multiple suspension procedures for patients with residual facial paralysis like Bells Palsy. You should see a physician that is experienced with these types of patients - but you do have options! 

Louis P. Bucky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of facial asymmetry after Bell's palsy.

This is a complicated problem. The first responsibility is to correct any functional disturbances that are not evident. Next is to restore balance to the face while at rest. In your case these are subtle. Treatment options are myriad. Consult with a plastic surgeon who is familiar with facial paralysis.

Bell's palsy

Thank you for your question. I would refer you to one of the centers in the country that specialize in facial nerve disorders (most major university medical centers will have a specialist). It maybe that a simple solution such as Botox may be your answer, but sometimes more involved procedures are required. I would not suggest a facelift. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Facelift to treat after effects of Bell's Palsy

Thank you for your picture.  I can appreciate that the left side of your face was affected by Bell's palsy. Your findings are subtle and unfortunately I would not recommend any type of intervention at this point.  I think you will be disappointed in cosmetic solutions offered for your subtle deficit.  Facial nerve deficits that have significant findings typically use reconstructive efforts (slings, muscle transplants or transposition and nerve grafts} plus cosmetic efforts (facelift incision and excess skin removal) to balance the face.

Bell's palsy face lift

Thank you for your question and photo.  A unilateral face lift would help correct the asymmetry.  Consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon. Best Wishes.

Bells Palsey

Bell's Palsey is a facial paralysis that is variable in severity an d can leave permanent deformities . A variety of procedures can be used to address the deformities including facial fillers, Botox , and facelifting to give better symmetry .