How Can Ruptured Butt Implants Be Fixed?

I had butt implants 1 year ago. One of the implants have popped out from under the muscle. I can see and feel a bump. How can this be corrected? Can they be changed? I don't want to take them out.

Doctor Answers 4

Fixing butt implant malposition

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

One of the known risks for butt implant surgery is malposition of the implants. This may occur if one of the implants leaves the muscular pocket where it is intended to live and repositions in a different site in your butt. If this should happen to you, you will experience discomfort and asymmetry as the two buttocks look different. To fix this condition, you will require a revision surgery where the implants are removed, a new pocket is created and the implants are placed into this new region.

Revision surgery needed

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If your implant has become displaced then a revision surgery is required to recreate the pocket and put it back where it should be. You may not need to have the implant replaced.

Buttock augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I think that rupture is not the correct description.  It sounds as though malposition is more correct.  If so, then they can have a new pocket formed (in the superior area where the implant "popped-out"). 

Shahin Javaheri, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

You might also like...

Can ruptured butt implants be fixed?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A ruptured butt implant should be removed, as a fragmented implant in an area subjected to sitting pressures will cause further problems.

It does not appear like your implant is ruptured, it does appear like it has shifted from a submuscular position to a subcutaneous position. That is why you can see and feel it.

Problems such as these are the reason I have turned away from butt implants. They are frequent enough that I see patients in consultation who had had implants placed and now want some revision.

I had a case like yours that I corrected by overinjecting the area with fat grafts, to increase the soft tissue padding over the implant. She has been happy.

You should consider fat grafting, which in the right hands is safe and effective.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 98 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.