How Much Fat is Needed for Butt Augmentation?

I have a small frame and not a lot of fat. I'm wondering if Butt augmentation is worth it, because I want a very noticeable, and big change in my butt. How much fat will I need?

How Much Fat is Needed for a Brazilian Butt Lift

The volume of fat needed would depend on your size and your desired goal as tempered by the amount of fat you have to "donate".

Use a a quart of juice or milk as a common visual yard stick. If that 1 qt carton was to be used to augment your buttocks, ask yourself just how much of that carton 1. would you want to be placed in each cheek? 2. Where in your body do you have such fat volumes for a surgeon to Liposuction and transfer?

A Brazilian Butt Lift is much easier in smaller to mid-sized women who are slightly obese because liposuction around the buttocks will greatly define them and they have enough to adequately graft the gluteal mounds. If you are thin and have not fat to graft, the operation is impossible. Similarly, if you do have fat but your ideal buttocks require a volume of fat you do not have - the operation is impossible as well.

Dr. P. Aldea

How much fat is enough for Butt Augmentation ?

It's a matter of evaluating your fat donor areas, remember we have a trained eye that will discover those areas and the possible amount of fat available.

You should know that  "Buttock Augmentation"  is a combination of Fat Grafting and Countouring the Area with Liposculpture (the lower part of the back, and the lateral part of the buttock).

If there is not enough fat, you may get a Butt Implant instead.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Buttock Augmentation

From your photo, you look pretty small and thin with not a whole lot of fat on your body. For a significant change, a large amount of fat is needed to harvest and inject into the buttocks. Not all of the fat that is placed will survive the transfer as well. You don't look like you have enough and if you are looking for a big change, I think you will be disappointed. I don't think that the procedure will be worth it for you. Hope this information is helpful.

Caroline Min, MD

Thank you for your question.  Really, the answer to your question is that it depends on multiple factors.  Some of these factors are the size and shape of the individual patient and the individual desires of the patient. For instance, some patients may be quite petite and not have the frame for a very large buttock augmentation.  Those same petite patients may not even have enough fat to harvest for a large volume augmentation of the buttock. 

Contrast that to a patient that may be tall, with a heavy frame who may have a significantly higher amount of fat in the areas that we typically harvest for buttock augmentation (abdomen, hips, flanks, thighs) who may also wish to have a greater increase in the buttock.  I have performed many different buttock operations and have customized the results to the desires of the individual and to create a result that looks good on the individual’s body. 

I have done fat grafting with as little as 200-300 cc’s of fat injected into each half of the buttock with a fantastic outcome and great result.  So, it does vary from person to person.  It can be done with what sounds like a relatively small amount of fat to achieve an outstanding result.  I hope this is helpful. 

Paul Fortes, MD

How much fat

The amount of fat required depends on a number of variables.  Your present frame size and shape.  How much fat you have to donate.  This is often a major issue as there is often not enough fat to make  a significant difference in your size and shape.

Staged buttock augmentation

Even though you are thin, you may still be able to find donor areas to harvest fat.  You can even consider gaining some weight prior to the procedure as a means to harvest more fat and influence you change in buttock shape more.  If you want even more augmentation, then you can consider implants. If you are open to a more modest augmentation to build on the fat grafting approach, then you can consider Sculptra as a means to add more volume to the buttock. 

Can A Slim Person Have a Brazilian Butt Lift?

Without an exam by a board certified plastic surgeon, it would be hard to give you the best opinion. Yes, very slim women may not have enough fat to make a sizable difference. No, you you cannot use someone else's fat. Re: the amount to transfer: A lot depends on the amount of fat that is suitable for transfer as not all fat that is removed can be transplanted - only the fat that is not traumatized or clumped. The second limiting factor is that too much fat cannot be transplanted at one time or the fat that is transferred may not fully take. Although not all fat survives initially, the part that does is more or less permanent A person’s own fat may be used to improve the appearance of his or her body by moving it from an area of excess (or where it is less desired, such as the thighs, hips or abdomen) to an area that has less volume desired or has lost tissue volume due to aging, trauma, surgery, certain diseases, birth defects, or other causes.

How much fat is needed for a Brazilian Butt Lift

You have asked the most common question that I get in my office when it comes to the Brazilian Butt Lift!  The answer to your question is that it depends how large you would like your buttocks to be.  I encourage my patients to bring in wish pictures so that we can discuss whether or not they have sufficient fat on their body to achieve the look that they desire.  Don't be discouraged however, if your doctor tells you that you do not have enough fat, buttocks implants are a great alternative.  Good luck!

It is hard to determine from this one photo how much fat you have that can be harvested for fat grafting.  How large of an enhancement that can be achieved will depend on how much fat is available.  An exam by a qualified plastic surgeon would give you the answer and options.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Is a but implant better for you?

Since more likely you are in your ideal weigh or slim fit.
And the atempt to gain weigh is not an option becouse your genetics will bring you don!

You may be a better candidate for a but implant!
specialy if you want a very noticible change!

If the surgeon is not able to obtain more then 300 cc of pure fat for each but cheek is not worth to attempt!

If you send photos we can do a more accurate evaluation!

Sincerely Dr. Manuel Gutierrez