Butt Augmentation with Fat That Has Been Frozen for Up to a Year?

I went for my consult for liposcupture of the torso and fat graft to butt. The Dr. Recommended that I have the liposcupture done & wait to see the results & if I still want it she is willing to freeze the fat for up to a yr. at that point won't all the cells be dead? Dont u have only a limited amount alive even if done at the same time? option#2 was a 2 day procedure where I have the lipo on 1 day & the fat to butt 2 days later? How long will this fat live outside the body?

Frozen Fat Transfer - Probably not in your best interest

The options your doctor gave you are not standard, are experimental, and and in short are not in your best interest. Is he/she board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - I doubt it. The reason is that as a rule, the longer the fat is outside your body the more of a chance there is of fat cell death, infection from contamination, and less chance of survival. The best chance for maximum fat survival is immediate fat transfer. Even then there is incomplete survival.

Remember there is Zeltiq CoolScultpting which essentially cools fat in your body externally to make fat cells die early. It therefore doesn't make sense that cooling fat will also increase the survival of fat. See a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this technique

Buttock Augmentation with Frozen Fat

Based on the relatively large volumes required and viability concerns (i.e. the probability that the fat will survive once injected) I would not recommend using any fat for buttock augmentation other than freshly harvested fat that is immediately transferred back into the buttock.  Even in the best of circumstances most surgeons would estimate that only about 50% of the fat survives past one year.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Buttock Augmentation, Fat Grafts to Buttocks, Frozen Fat

Fat is a delicate tissue that requires special handling while being removed.  It requires a good blood supply to survive.  At a plastic surgery meeting last year, a presenter demonstrated fat that had been grafted after being frozen for different lenghts of time.  Although some of the fat survived after being frozen for 30 days, the volume and quality was poor and the  recommendation is to use the fat immediately after it is removed.  Other problems with freezing fat are sterility and storage. 

The best approach is to remove and transplant the fat at the same operation.  For you information, depending on the volume of fat to be grafted,  liposuction and buttock or breast augmentation with the removed fat is a long tedious process for the surgeon and his staff.

Good Luck   

John Borkowski, MD
Hartford Plastic Surgeon

Please Read This

There is no evidence that fat frozen is as viable as fresh fat.  Contrary, animal studies have been performed on frozen fat and suggest that fresh fat retains volume better than frozen fat.  This study was done on nude mice, so there is always the possibility that it may not relate to humans.

In humans, we do observe a time perishability of fat-  the longer it is outside the body, the worse it does.  I would not recommend frozen fat.  I would get the fat back in ASAP (one hour or less)

Dr Del Vecchio

Brazilian Butt Lift

There is no scientific evidence that fat can be frozen and remain alive.

In fact the fat aspirated should be reinjected into the buttock as soon as possible to limit the time it is exposed to air and make sure the fat cells remain alive. What your doctor is recommending has no basic science behind it

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Frozen Fat

Hello, thank you for your question. You are absolutely right. Fat is live tissue, and freezing it will basically kill all the cells. In another angle, this thawed fat, that will now be dead, when injected to your body, can cause major infections. Good luck but I wouldn't advise on it

Jose Leon, MD

Butt augmentation with frozen fat

While it is standard procedure to augment butts with freshly harvested fat taken from elsewhere, it is not standard procedure to use fat frozen for a year after the liposculpture procedure.   I too would question the viability of the fat which was frozen.  Consider getting another opinion before having this procedure..

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Brazilian Buttlift and Freezing Fat after Liposculpture

The fat liposuctioned from your body should be transferred immediately to ensure the best graft survival.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Fat Freezing Still Experimental & Unregulated

Thank you for your question. Your question about freezing fat and transferring it later is particularly appropriate.  There are some anecdotal reports that some fat cells do survive freezing and can be effectively transferred later.   Unfortunately, not enough studies have been done to quantify this and to guide surgeons on what the appropriate parameters would be.  Additionally, freezing and storing human tissue is considered tissue banking.  This is a highly regulated practice for obvious reasons.  Proper storing to ensure survival during a power failure, to prevent contamination and to prevent mix ups is critical.  Most doctor's offfices do not have the infrastructure or procedures in place to do this in the most legitimate way.  This is a potentially risky practice for both surgeon and patient.  Some times your common sense and instincts tell you what you need to know.  Good luck and be safe!