Breast implant revision to go smaller. Will a full lift be needed? 32dd, 5'3", 110 lbs. (photos)

What will I have to do for smaller breasts? I'm currently a 32dd and would love to be a very natural-looking b/c. Do I need a full lift or would a Benelli be enough? I've had my implants for 17 years and have hated them for the last 14. They're way too big! I'm 5'3" 110 lbs. Thanks!

Life Required with Revision

Considering a lot of the natural shape changes that happen a lift is needed, and most likely will be in the requested replacement that you are looking for. For women with moderate to severe breast sag, a breast lift (mastopexy) may be recommended to ensure the best result and longest lasting result. Failing to have a breast lift when necessary will only lead to a less than ideal result leaving the patient unhappy and needing a revision surgery. A larger breast implant can help lift the breast, but the low hanging breast tissue will still be present causing a disconnect between the implant and breast tissue located at the bottom of the breast.

Will I need a lift if I want to go smaller?

HI  pghgirl97,  You will need a lift if you wish to go smaller, mainly because your lateral pocket is made. By that, I mean that if you were to go to a smaller size without a pulling in of your current pocket, the implant will deviate outward and you will not have much cleavage. the type of lift that will most likely be the best for you will be one where you have lollipop type of incisions. With a Benelli , the nipple-areola complex will stretch too much. Go for the proper form and have your surgeon help you with the scar care after.Best,Dr. Christine Rodgers

Redo breasts augmentation with a lift

Dear pghgirl,   Thanks for submitting your pictures and sorry for your troubles. It is not clear from your story, whether the implants are under the muscles or under the breasts. The earlier one is a much better option in my opinion. Unfortunately for you , your corrective measures require more than just replace of implants an a lift. That is because it appears that you have capsule contracture and lateral displacement of the implants. So, if your implants are sub muscular, you will need medial and superior capsulotomy (scar release) and lateral capsulorrhaphy (internal bra). Once that is done, your surgeon will have to decide about a mini lift (Benneli) or full lift (key hole) based on your perkiness desire.                                                                           As you can see , your corrective surgery is quite complex , if you are looking for a good outcome. So, do your due diligence and choose wisely.                                                                     Always, consult with experience board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of redo breasts augmentation surgery in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.                                                               Best of luck,                                                           Dr Widder

Breast implant revision to go smaller. Will a full lift be needed?

Thank you for your question.  If you are going smaller, you may very well need to get a lift in order to achieve a perky contour, good symmetry and adjust areola size.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Downsizing and lift?

Yes, if you are downsizing, you may need a lift.  Best to be seen in person for an appropriate evaluation.

Full lift

You will need to have full lift for better results. The goals of the surgery should be the lift the breast off the chest wall, make the areola smaller and perkier, give more upper pole fullness and better cleavage. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Removing implants - what kind of lift?

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal and lift.
  • I don't think a Benelli lift will be the best choise -
  • Your implants will have widened and flattened your breast tissue - 
  • I believe you need a vertical lift.
  • The Benelli lift is likely to flatten your breasts and will not give you the pretty shape you are looking for.
  • You and your surgeon should first decide on the new implant size - and at surgery, s/he should exchange the implants and then do the lift around the new breast size.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast implant revision to go smaller. Will a full lift be needed? 32dd, 5'3", 110 lbs.

Thank you for your question.  After viewing your photos, I think it is reasonable for your to downsize your implants.  In doing so I feel your best aesthetic outcome would be to combine the re-augmentation with a full mastopexy (lift).  You have some skin laxity that would be corrected best with the full lift versus a circumareolar lift.   I recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who has significant experience with an augmentation/mastopexy combination.  

Breast revision for volume and size reduction

Your implants appear to be above the muscle and most likely fall to the side when you are laying down. Most women I treat for down-sizing complain the most about this. I would recommend you find a board-certified plastic surgeon comfortable with moving newer, smaller implants to a partially under the muscle position (site change) accompanied by a breast lift (mastopexy). This will allow you to maintain some degree of upper breast fullness and down-size as well. I hope this helps.
Dr. Edwards

Lift

Reduction in implants would best be combined with a full Breast lift. You have both vertical and horizontal skin laxity

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS