What surgery is required for my nose?

My Consultant has stated that's althoigh I had septoplasty and turbinate reduction I still have a major basalt obstriction which is due to supratip depression and a pppr columella support, and when my nasal tip is highly elevated my breathing improves. I had photographs taken and was referred intoned a rhinology specialist. What surgery would help as my specialist mentioned about a rhinoplasty or an open approach I am not sure what this is?

Nasal Surgery

Hi and thanks for the question. It is difficult, if not impossible, to make an accurate assessment without examining your primarily and having some quality photographs to review. It sounds like you need a septorhinoplasty in order to alleviate the nasal obstruction and also optimize the external nasal silhouette. The approach, either open or closed, is surgeon dependent. Both techniques fall within the standard of care. Surgeon experience will definitively be the greatest indicator of a predictable, sound outcome. 

Dr. Vallecillos 

Surgical Solution for Breathing Concerns

Hi Health212,

It is quite difficult to assess your condition without any photo, but based on your description of the relief you feel upon lifting your tip, the possible cause of your breathing issue is the lack of proper entry of air  to your nose, secondary to nasal valve collapse and lack of nasal tip support, which causes abnormal turbulent flow and air entry. To correct this, strong support should be given to the tip-alar complex and yje collapsed nasal valve should also be addressed.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

What surgery is required for my nose?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. It would be good if you can post some photos to evaluate your case though your photos.

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon