Is the results from Fraxel Dual Laser only temporary?

I'm wanting to try Fraxel Dual Laser on my acne scars, hoping to improve their appearance. I have some on my cheeks & around my mouth area, indent and ice pick ones along with hyper-pigmentation. Why do I keep reading people state the results are only temporary and the skin tends to go back to how it once was? I thought it zaps down a few layers, I'm not wanting to try it if the scarring will re appear in the future. I do understand the scars will not ever be completely gone with lasers-

Fraxel Dual, eMatrix, Chemical Peels and Treatment for Acne Scars

There are many different lasers like Fraxel and eMatrix which help improve acne scars.  Each of these lasers will removal collagen and improve the appearance of your scars.  It usually takes at least four or five treatments to help treat significant acne scars.  I suggest you consult a board certified dermatologist with experise in cosmetic lasers. Best, Dr. Green 

Fraxel and Scars

Fraxel lasers don't remove layers of skin in the way you would think of lasers. They make tiny columns of heat in the skin that cause new collagen to form. This is the basis for improving the skin. There are different lasers and different technologies for scar smoothing (example, eMatrix, which is a little slower than Fraxel but doesn't have the same risk of hyperpigmentation).

With any fractional system, Fraxel or other, you will need multiple treatments. The initial response of any laser is a bit of swelling which makes the skin look smoother right away - but as swelling subsides you do see the scars that seem to "reappear". Results are progressive.

It is only with a planned series that you see results that you can visually measure.

Fraxel DUAL is primarily for pigmentation (though also FDA approved for actinic keratosis). Fraxel Restore is used for resurfacing since the target in the skin is water and not pigment, but is best for light skins. eMatrix sort of bypasses the pigment layer and thus a better option if you tend to get dark scarring or have naturally high levels of pigment in your skin.

Some deeply indented scars and icepick scars need minor skin surgery to correct at a higher level - subcision is the use of a small blade to release the scar band under the skin surface. If this is followed with fractional procedures and/or chemical peels, the outcome is better.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD

Fraxel DUAL laser

Lasers stimulate the production of new collagen causing a smoothing effect of wrinkles and acne scars. Depending on your skin type, several lasers can be used to improve the scars.  Please consult a cosmetic dermatologist who has experience with different lasers to determine which laser would be best for you.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist