Burns during BBL procedure. What happened? (photo)

For the first time I've come across a patient whom eerily is similar on shape and size as me that got severely burnt during a bbl procedure in which a power assisted liposuction tool was "supposedly" used. Before this I had no idea that burns was another risk factor with BBL. How could burns like this occur? As a doctor what do you do to prevent such a catastrophe ?

Burns during liposuction?

Power-assisted liposuction uses no heat energy and would not be the source of these burns.  If ultrasound-assisted or laser-assisted liposuction was used, then they could potentially have caused these burns.  These are typically safe procedures, but they are not magic wands--they are surgical devices and should be used by properly trained, board-certified surgeons.

By the way, I think I've seen these photos in relation to a non-plastic surgeon in NY who was sued for these burns....it was laser-assisted liposuction that was used, IF these are the same photos I recall.

Burn of abdomen from BBL

I doubt very much that power assisted liposuction did that although I suppose anything is possible. More likely a heating component laser lipolysis or ultrasonic liposuction device could have caused this because they both create heat.

Burns during BBL procedure. What happened?

I use conventional small cannula liposuction with tumescent solution and no heat sources.  In thousands of liposuctions, I have not seen a burn.  However, it is always unfair to comment on a situation like this without knowing every single aspect of the surgery and the patient.

Burns doing BBL procedure

Very severe complication unlikely due to PAL (power assisted liposuction).  this is more likely due to instillation of solution that is too hot or to use of ultrasonic or laser assisted liposuction (neither of which would be used when the removed fat is to be grafted).  This can also occur with poorly regulated heating pads or just plain bad liposuction technique that devascularizes the skin.  You need a skilled surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.