Can you sort my lip out? (photo)
Doctor Answers 1
Cleft Lip repair and the effect on the shape of the nose
Thank you for the question
- although we call it a cleft lip, the nose is an important part when treating cleft lip-cleft palate
- lip muscles that attach around the nose were not touching when you were born
- surgery to reattach the muscles during childhood repair affect how the nostril is shaped and having one side be smaller than the other
- Generally, a final rhinoplasty can be completed after you reach full skeletal growth, but smaller revision surgery on the lip and nose may be helpful.
- Seek a cleft surgeon linked to a interdisciplinary cleft TEAM.
- in the US, you can search for this on ACPA website
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.