Is it normal one week after breast augmentation surgery for one boob just to have a burning sensation and more swelling than the other?
Burning Sensation And More Swelling in One Breast a Week After BA, is this Normal?
Doctor Answers 4
Swelling Post Breast Augmentation
- Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
- Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
- A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
- Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
- Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
- You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Pain and swelling following breast augmentation
Yes it may be normal. After breast augmentation surgery, it is possible that one breast will react differently than the other.
As long as there is no redness, constant or increased pain or fever, you shouldn’t worry. If swelling is significantly different when comparing breasts, I would advise you consult with your plastic surgeon.
Your right and left side may be healing differently and that's OK
Be patient, talk to your plastic surgeon and allow your body several weeks to heal. I realize the situation is making you very anxious but at this stage be a patient patient (;-) ) is the best thing to do.
Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC
You might also like...
Uneven Healing After Breast Surgery
It is completely normal to have one breast act differently than the other in the post operative healing phase. One side usually swells a little more, and this is normal. There are a lot of nerve sensation changes that occur throughout the process. The burning sensation is the nerve endings trying to figure out what they are supposed to be doing again. It can take three months for all the sensation changes to settle down and come back to normal. Just be patient.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.