Can my saline implants be removed in a doctors office?

Can saline implants be removed as an office procedure in an exam room

The short answer is no. The reason im plants should not be removed in an exam room is for sterility . Removing the implants opens up a potential space that can be infected. In most cases to close this space drains are placed. This is a surgical procedure not a mole removal  This  needs to be done in an outpatient center 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

For explant surgery, it is almost always best to remove the capsule in its entirety.  This will allow the space to heal.  If you leave the capsule in place, it does not heal.  Fluid can accumulate in the space.  The situation that brings the patient to implant removal will have an affect on the decision.  This is a surgery which requires discussion with the plastic surgeon about the problem, the goals, and the technical concerns.  The body does not re-absorb the capsule.  Revision surgery requires drains because the fluid is going to be generated when you operate on the scar capsule.  If you provide a mechanism for the fluid to be removed (i.e. drains), the risks are lower.  If the fluid accumulates because there were no drains, it will most certainly cause problems in the future.

Removal in Office

For the safety and comfort of the patient, it is in your best interest to have the implants removed at a hospital outpatient center.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Implant Removal in doctor's office

While breast implants can be removed in office, it should be removed in an operating room at a certified surgical facility. We have a nationally accredited surgical facility which ensures quality and safety.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Yes they can but the better question is would it be a good idea. In the states, to maintain our professional society membership we must specify in writing each year that we do our surgical procedures in a certified surgical facility. That is not just an office. There is good reason for that and I don't think any reputable surgeon would do as you ask. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Saline or silicone gel breast implants can certainly be removed under local anesthesia, given the right “circumstances” and the right patient. However, if there is a rupture of the gel implant  or capsulectomy (or other type of capsule work) is planned, "deeper" anesthesia is a good idea.  Best wishes.

Nothing substitutes for good judgement in ensuring a patients safety.  Implant removal, while being a technically simple procedure, still needs to be performed in a sterile environment and in a setting that can monitor a patient and care for any emergency, such as bleeding or a reaction to a medication.  Some doctor's offices have operating rooms or procedure rooms and have staffing that can ensure a patient's safety, but others do not.  Be thoughtful in the selection of your surgeon, and make certain that they are Board Certified and facile with breast procedure.  Furthermore, discuss with your surgeon preoperatively whether you are likely to require a breast lift, as you may want to consider having both done simultaneously, and that would require treatment in a formal operating room in a surgicenter or hospital.  Best of luck as you consider your options!

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon