Can a Tummy Tuck help with chronic pelvic pain?

Five years after my last c section I am still experiencing non stop chronic pain in my lower left pelvic area. The pain radiates into my hip. I have seen a multitude of doctors and I'm currently in pain management. The current working theory is that it is caused from nerve damage during the c section. I was wondering if a tummy tuck could help me not only aesthetically, bit maybe with the pain as well?

Tummy tuck

There is no guarantee that a tummy tuck can help with pelvic pain.  Abdominoplasty will remove excess tissue that will help aesthetically and possibly help with pain related to extra weight like we see in breast reductions. New scar tissue will form in the healing process of abdominoplasty and there could be increased pain with new scar tissue.  If a neuroma is encountered, which is unlikely, one may potentially have some improvement.Pelvic pain can also be due to intra-abdominal adhesions from previous surgery and that would not improve with abdominoplasty.   There will be some postoperative discomfort and healing with tummy tuck.  Realistic exceptions are important in all plastic surgery.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. I have had a patient in the past with this exact same problem and a neuroma was found during surgery and alleviated her pain longterm.  However, there is no guarantee that a neuroma would definitely be found during your surgery and unfortunately no guarantee that your pain could be fixed either.    The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Nerve pain after C Section

Thanks for reaching out.  There is a small chance that your surgery may have caused a neuroma which is a sensitive swollen edge to a cut nerve.  If this is the case and it is found and treated during your tummy tuck it may improve your pain.  However this is rare and it is not always easy to find.  I would not go into surgery with high hopes of the pain getting better.
I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing.  I would not suggest that you undergo tummy tuck surgery in the hopes of alleviating chronic pelvic pain.  On the other hand, if the specific nerve (or neuroma) can be identified (through careful physical examination or imaging studies), then its excision can be helpful. Best wishes for resolution of your discomfort..