Who's had a breast reduction done? Tell me the experience.

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thanks for the question. My advice for you is to send your photos to us to give you the advices you need.Respectfully,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Breast Reduction experience

Hi.  As a surgeon I have shared the experience with countless patients - before, during and after the surgery.  Most patients have a very reasonably small amount of pain that is well-controlled with pain medications.  Most of them are also able to very quickly tell an improvement in their preoperative symptoms, very soon after surgery, with the decreased breast weight.  There is a high satisfaction rate with breast reduction surgery.  I would recommend consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon with good experience in this area.  Good luck, and take care,Dr. Howell

Breast reduction

I can only tell you the experience from the surgeon's perspective. My most recent patients was surprised at how little pain she had post-op. Most do not have significant post-op pain, more discomfort(3-4 on a 1-10 pain scale) for several days.  They are usually back to light duty within 5-7 days.

Thank you for the question. Although I can not speak from personal experience, the breast reduction procedure tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Of course, definitive assessment and advice would require in person evaluation.

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts. Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make. To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.   I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.