Scars, swelling, and tenderness three months post breast reduction (Photo)

3 months post surgery and I love the size but scars are ropy like and I feel like the sides will end up looking like big ears. been using Maderma Advanced for several weeks now. Are they healing nicely? The sides look like they have a lot of fat on the sides am feeling a bit self conscious about that. I'm hoping that it's still a little swollen and that it'll go down more. My doctor cleared me to go without a bra a few weeks ago, but I still can't sleep without one as they are still very tender.

Scars

You look like you are healing nicely. It can take a year or longer for scars to mature. Best to ask your surgeon what he prefers.

3 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 
3 months after Breast Reduction, it's not time enough to express a valid opinion of results.
On the other hand, generally to avoid the normal p.o. swelling, I recommend to limit the arms movement for two weeks. 
Also it's not advisable to carry weight and take the antiinflamatory painkillers drugs.
Finally, I recommend you always use a therapeutic bra.
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Swelling , Pain and Thick Scars after Breast Reduction

Dear Kernuna,

Thank you for your pictures. Your result is excellent.  It is not unusual for the incisions to still feel thick at this point. They will soften but it may take a year.  Mederma is not helpful.  Silicone band aids are helpful.  The pain as well will subside. Best wishes.

Scars

your scars appear to be healing appropriately from the photos shown. Early on scars are typically darker or red depending on your skin color. They will continue to fade with time. 

Internally they can feel like "rope". This is a combination of suture and scar. Massage will help this flatten out and will pressure from tape or bra. There are various versions of this available online. 

As far as the little extra on the side this may be a small dog ear or still swelling. I would give this time, wear a supportive bra and continue with physical activity and look at it again in a few months. 

Best of luck

Helena Guarda, MD
Suffolk Plastic Surgeon