Will this extra skin/wrinkles at the end of the anchor incision in between breast go away or smooth out? (Photo)

5 weeks post op and wanted to know if this extra skin/wrinkles at the end of the anchor incision in between breast will go away. I have not seen this result on any other pictures. Is this a common result? I was a 36K and had 1150 from right and 950 from left removed. Right now i am wearing a 36D. I did ask PS Assistant about this and she said yes. i have some healing issues going on so I do not want to ask my PS at this point.

Skin Redundancy After Breast Reduction

Patience is called for at this time.  It is difficult to predict the amount of improvement that will occur.  You expressed a reluctance to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  I would suggest that it is appropriate to  express your concerns.  Good constructive communication is always preferable to letting your doubts and anxieties escalate because of a lack of information.  Your surgeon is best equipped to answer your questions and put your mind at ease.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Will this extra skin/wrinkles at the end of the anchor incision in between breast go away or smooth out?

Better posted before and afters are needed. But this appears as a final result. So revision might be needed....

Will the extra skin/wrinkles at the end of the anchor incisions go away or smooth out?

As time goes on, your breast tissue will drop and the shape will improve. As that happens some of the wrinkles should settle out and improve. You really need to wait at least 6 months to let everything settle and then if needed some revisions can be carried out under local anaesthesia.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Based on your photos, I think you will see some improvement, but will likely require a very minor in-office procedure under local anesthesia to revise the area.  This issue is common in larger reductions, but is easily remedied with a little patience.  Good luck!

Jon Kurkjian, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

You can expect some improvement with time, but they will never go away on their own. Wait at least six months, then you can have a revision under local anesthesia. I personally stopped using the anchor pattern for my reductions/lifts, and this is one of the reasons. To prevent this from occurring, the incision needs to be closed from the end toward the center. Often, some fat needs to be removed judiciously under the skin to prevent these "dog ears". Don't feel that you are imposing on your surgeon. As a patient, you have the right to express your concerns directly to your treating surgeon. Good luck with your healing.

"Dog ears"

These will probably improve some, but probably not enough to be satisfactory.  But allow 6 months, at which time you should speak with your surgeon about options.  I expect that a "minor" revision operation under local anesthesia can improve this. It will probably involve extending the incisions such that they touch, something your surgeon was probably trying to avoid.

Patience. All the best.

Post-Operative Contour Deformities

After a breast reduction, there can be small irregularities and contour deformities present throughout the breasts. Many of these will fade over time as the swelling subsides and the breasts settle. It will take 3 to 6 months to see a final result. Assuming there is no emergent issue, patients should allow at least 3 months for the breasts to settle and the tissues to soften before contemplating any changes. At that point, a small revision may be all that is needed. Close follow-up with the surgeon is essential.

Wrinkles after reduction

Those wrinkles might get better with time but probably will never be to your liking.  Wait six months for things to improve as much as they will and seek a revision

David J. Goodkind, MD
New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Insufficient pattern

The design of the patter for the Wise or inverted T skin removal was not wide and ambitous enough, that is why you have these redundancies of skin that will not disappear with time.
The good news is that the procedure is simple and easy to do, but you'll have to wait at least 6 months for the revision surgery.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Dog ears after breast reduction

It appears that you have "dog ears" at the ends of your incisions.  This is not uncommon and I usually tell patients to be patient and allow the swelling and skin healing to proceed as most of these tend to get better with time.  In my practice we will revise them at 3 months if they have not improved.

good luck

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon