Dark red crust around drain opening, is this okay or is it dead skin and how can I tell the difference? (photo)

10 days post opp. About 35 ccs of f is still coming out daily. Wake up in the night uncomfortable and swelling in that area.

Dark red crust around drain opening, is this okay or is it dead skin and how can I tell the difference?

It is common to have dried old blood around the drain opening. Drains are typically cumbersome and can be slightly uncomfortable. If you are still worried, best to check in with your operating surgeon so you can be properly evaluated in person. Good luck!

Dark red crust around drain opening, is this okay?

Thank you for your question.  No online reviewer can diagnose or make treatment recommendations without an examination.  It may be just some old dried blood or skin that is tight against the drain.  I would check with your surgeon for evaluation and advice.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photograph and congratulations on your surgery! It appears that the dark red crust is simply dried blood and this should fall off when you are allowed to shower.  I do not see any other signs of skin compromise or infection based on your picture.  Hope this helps.

Crusting around drain

While this appears to be crusting of dried blood around the drain, one can never tell from a picture as opposed to an in-person examination.  You are having concerns, and symptoms, so it is best to contact the surgeon who did your procedure.
Best of luck! Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon