How long does it take for numbness to go away? (photos)

It's been almost 6 months since my breast augmentation and I still have almost no sensation on the outside parts of my breasts and nipple, is this normal? When can I expect full sensation? It's still feels numb to the touch. I had silicone implants from under the breast and under the muscle.

How long does it take for numbness to go away?

Hi and thanks for your question. Sometimes overly aggressive dissection or the pressure of a large implant can cause numbness. It is rare and usually does take up to a year, but you may notice improvement up to two years. Express your concerns to your surgeon and let her or him address them with you.  Best of luck. 

Numb after Breast Augmentation

Hello Petite Mommy and thank you for sharing your concerns. Unfortunately, what you are experiencing is quite uncommon. Normally, patients would feel numb around their breasts for about 2 months or so before they start feeling sensation again. I would suggest waiting it out for a full year, and if by then you still have no sensation, please follow up with your surgeon. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I specialize in Breast Augmentation and Restorative Breast Surgery.

In some patients, it can take up to a year for nerves to regenerate and sometimes they do not fully.  However, that is uncommon.  I would recommend that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Loss of sensation is a known risk of augmentation surgery

and though rare, it does happen.  At this point, all you can do is be patient and hope for the best.  If you have tingling, its a promising sign.  If you have nothing after a year, I would no anticipate that you will recover sensation to those areas.  Fingers crossed for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Large Implants Increase Risk of Numbness

It is unusual to be completely numb this far out, but is much more common with oversized implants. You will need to wait at least one year before determining the final status of your sensibility. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Sensation Loss

Sometimes it takes longer than 6 months for nerves to regenerate and larger implants/pressure can slow this process. Sometimes sensation does not fully return but that is rare in my experience. Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about your concerns.

All the best

Numbness After Breast Augmentation

Numbness is a potential long term result after doing a breast augmentation.  For most people, the numbness lasts, which is usually temporary, last 2-4 months.  However, there are occasions where this numbness can last longer before it resolves.  There is a small chance that the numbness may be permanent.   Larger implants that require a more extensive breast pocket dissection will increase the chances for a nerve injury.  Please follow up with your surgeon to discuss your concerns.   

Steven Svehlak, MD

Numbness and changes in senation after BBA

Thank you for your question!

Changes in nipple and breast sensation are very common. Your surgeon may have counselled you about this, but basically what happens is that implants, especially large implants, may press against sensory nerves near the breast tissue leading to either increased or decreased sensitivity in breast sensation. This is why going for a moderate sized implant is best.

1 in 7 women find their nipples and breast less sensitive and numb after breast augmentation.

Nevertheless, the good news is that for most people changes in sensation are temporary, and everything returns to normal in a YEAR or sooner. This is because as your breasts stretch to accommodate your implants, your sensory nerves will be less compressed over time. If the numbness persists, you may opt for a smaller implant.

Regardless, it is best to be in touch with you plastic surgeon for follow-ups and questions. Share your concerns with them. Their instructions should take precedence over everything else you read here.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD