What can be done? Is my vaginal opening normal? (photos)

What can I do to make it more appealing?

I want a more appealing vagina...

Hello Annabelle,

Thank you for your post with great photos. Since you didn't specify what it is you do not like I will describe what I see that you might be bothered by.

1 - The anterior vaginal wall is descending towards the opening, often due to a cystocele. This may be associated with symptoms of urine leakage. A pelvic exam would be necessary to determine the best way to correct this.

2 - Your vaginal opening is large and gaping, often due to having had a vaginal delivery.

3 - Your hymenal remnants are thick and protruding  - this can be corrected at the time of a vaginoplasty.

4 - the third photo with your finger in the vagina shows a weakened perineal body  - this contributes to symptoms of decreased vaginal sensation, or looseness.

I recommend you find a reconstructive and cosmetic vaginal surgeon experienced in addressing both functional and aesthetic concerns.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Denver Urogynecologist

Vaginal Cosmetics

Dear Annabelle:

Thanks for sharing the photos and questions and I must admit that Dr Aquirre has answered you concisely and appropriately.   Without knowing exactly what you want I would have suggested exactly what he suggested.  

1) cystocele repair

2) hymenal remnant reduction

3) perineoplasty to restore the vaginal opening and make it smaller

4) possibly a posterior repair to tighten and strengthen the floor of the vagina ( but an exam would be necessary to make that decision).

Please choose a surgeon with both vaginal reconstructive surgery experience and cosmetic vaginal surgery experience to meet your expectations.  Surgeons which only address the cosmetic aspect are not going to fix the inside of the vagina which happens to be pushing downward.  You are probably best served in this situation with a surgeon who is both a Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon.

Best of Luck  

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~  Dubai

What Can Be Done for the Vaginal Opening

Candidates of Vaginal Rejuvenation or Vaginoplasty surgery are women who desire a more youthful appearance and function of the vulva and vaginal area.  For some women, the effects of childbirth, aging, trauma, and/or genetics, causes their vaginal tissue and muscles to become stretched, which results in loss of strength and tone in the vaginal area. This may result in decreased intimacy and sexual satisfaction. In some cases, the laxity of tissues can be visible. 

The lining of the vagina can be reduced, removing excess and redundant mucosa decreasing the diameter of the canal. The muscle ring, pubococcygeus, at the entrance or introitus can be tightened.  These procedures along with exercises such as Kegles can help keep the muscle tone in this area. Aesthetic Vaginoplasty, in many cases, can increase friction during intercourse, giving women more control of vaginal muscles, increasing sexual satisfaction, while also creating a more attractive and appealing appearance to the vaginal area.

The best thing is to schedule consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the options of the vaginoplasty or other reconstructive surgery that may help achieve your desired results.

How do I make myself more appealing? So my opening looks more normal?

I agree with Dr. Miklos' detailed answer.  The only thing I would add is that the issue of "appealing" is a grey area.  "Appealing" is subjective and thus based upon one's opinion.  Repair of pelvic organ prolapse has medical indications such as pain, pressure, heaviness, urine loss or even loss of feces or having to touch your bottom to have a bowel movement.  Vaginal laxity or looseness as it pertains to sex may indeed be a complaint. In this case vaginoplasty and perineoplasty may be indicated.    I do notice that your inner lips or labia minor extend past the middle of your outer lips.  If this is an issue with you regarding how "appealing" you look then the procedure to accompany the others would also include a labiaplasty and possible clitoral hood reduction.  Good Luck!

Is my vaginal opening normal?

Thank you for sharing.  Although always hard to give a true opinion based on pics.  I would first ask if you are having any symptoms of urinary leakage and or discomfort.

Based on the photos only:  I would agree with my colleagues that a possible bladder lift  might be appropriate as well as a vaginal and perineal reconstruction.  I would also consider a labiaplasty minora if this bothers you as well.

Again, all of these are suggestions based on pics and therefore would recommend finding the right surgeon for a detailed physical examination and treatment options.

When you want a more appealing vulva

you have to determine what you define as more appealing.  As mentioned by the other surgeons, you have many issues that are happening at the same time.  If you cannot travel to the cosmetic urogyn, see if your local GYN and plastic surgeon have the experience to help you achieve your goals.  Your vulva itself is really normal... but you do have what looks like a descending anterior vaginal wall and weak perineum.

Curtis Wong, MD

Am I NORMAL? Am I "APPEALING" What can I do?!?

Believe me, you are "appealing" to your lover! We guys are  happy just BEING THERE, and love our ladies for whom they are: anything "attached" is APPEALING to us. That said, there are many "appealing" cosmetic choices available to the woman who wishes to minimize size, change appearance, make it "...more youthful", "higher," and "tighter..."

I'll not go over all that can be done, but rather refer you to a very complete website (see weblink below) that goes over all possibilities. You can minimize your labial size; change the appearance of your vaginal opening, "elevate" the opening, make the inside noticeably tighter. Whatever you wish. The one IMPORTANT CONSTANT in your decision re: what to do is that you only see an experienced cosmetic gynecologist (if you wish both "in and out" work done), or a cosmetic gyn or plastic surgeon if you only wish outside work.

Do your homework. Look at many many websites. Choose experience: look to see what they write, if they have done research, how many "before & after" pics of their own work they have. AND, don't be afraid to "travel" to see the best. This is your vagina, your femininity, your sex you may be remodelling. Trust yourself only to your researched BEST.

Regards,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Do you want a more appealing vagina?

I'm not sure exactly what you consider appealing or not. I see dozens of women every day with an appearance similar to yours. Some are happy and some could care less about the appearance, but each one has specific opinions about specific details. Provide some info about what exactly you wish to change.