Bumps After Labiaplasty and Clitoral Hood Reduction? (photo)

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago. I had, vagina rejuvenation, labia minora and clitoral hood reduction. Is this swelling or not? All of the rest of my swelling has seemed to subside. Also I can't see my clitoris.

Swelling after labiaplasty

It is entirely too early to evaluate the results as you are still very swollen and there are still stitches in place.  It can take a few weeks for all of the swelling to subside and a couple of months for deeper stitches to completely resolve.  Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon as they can examine you and is your best resource for post operative questions.  Hope this helps and best wishes.

Swelling and bumps after labiaplasty

Thank you for your question. Labiaplasty swelling can be very intense, especially if accompanied by bruising or hematoma. The labial tissue can expand quite a bit compared to other areas of the body, and it is not uncommon for one side to swell more than the other, and you may feel lumps/bumps that are present. I generally tell my patients that it will be weeks of swelling, with each week getting better than the previous. I ask them to avoid anything that can induce swelling such as strenuous activity or friction on the labia for upto six weeks. I also recommend that they keep the labia fairly lubricated (e.g. vaseline or aquafor) during the initial couple weeks when the swelling is most intense. The end results should be fairly obvious around the six week, and there can be intermittent swelling due to over activity or too much friction for another six weeks.

Irregularities after a labiaplasty

are not uncommon. Your edges will remain rough and uneven until those sutures are removed or dissolve. Your hood reduction is healing well but there is a 'bump' of tissue between your incisions that may persist and which a revision should easily improve. Keep your surgeon informed of your concerns and utilize the revision policy if it is needed.

Curtis Wong, MD

Bumps following labia surgery

The bumps you see are to be expected after labiaplasty, regardless of the method used.  They are often frightening about 3 weeks after surgery, but are very typical.  They take several more weeks to resolve.  I have found it helpful to tell patients that they are expected within the first month and gone by the third month.

Mark P. Solomon, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Bumps after Labiaplasty

Very typical to still have swelling (bumps) only 3 weeks after vaginoplasty, labiaplasty, and hoodectomy.  This amount of surgery in the same area creates a substantial amount of swelling that takes 2-3 months to resolve.  I encourage you to keep all your follow up appointments with your operating surgeon so the s/he can continue to monitor your progress.  Glad to help... 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Bumps After Labiaplasty and Clitoral Hood Reduction?

Thank you for your question and photos. The bumps you see or feel are due to swelling around the disolvable sutures. Your surgeon did a linear resection technique and it will take 6-8 weeks for the swelling to subside and the edge of the labia to even out. I prefer the wedge resection technique which does not place a suture line along the whole length of the labia minora. Iether technique can give excellent results. Be patient, talk to your surgeon about your concerns. good luck with the healing.