3 Months Post Rhinoplasty: Still Have a Bump

i had a septo-rhinoplasty 3 months ago. the swelling has done down a lot but I can feel and see a small bump still on the bridge of my nose. I can feel the bump more than I can see it. I also banged my nose a week ago (from walking into a cupboard) could I have broke it again?

Bump after rhinoplasty

From the looks  of your nose it is still healing.  There may be a small residual hump and a revision under anesthesia, perhaps small, may be indicated after waiting a few more months.  Patience is your friend at this point.

Talmage J, Raine MD FACS

Champaign Plastic Surgeon

Swelling 3 months after Rhinoplasty.

From your photos, there does appear to be a slight bump along the bony dorsum and yes, if you hit your nose with sufficient force within the first month you can shift the nasal bones that were broken during the Rhinoplasty.  I encourage all of my Rhinoplasty patients to place a 2 feet non touch zone between them any anything for the first month.  Your photo also reveals that your nasal tip is not the highest point, of your nose, on profile as it should be by nasal aesthetics.  This could be from an incomplete trimming of the anterior, superior septal angle and catilage dorsum in the supra-tip area.

Wait for results

You are still early on in your recovery after rhinoplasty. It can take a year or so to see your final results. Please wait until then.

Post op fullness

While I see some dorsal fullness, your nose is still recovering at 3 months. The contour will slowly improve. However, at times the dorsum is undercorrected and requires a revision. This can only be properly assessed at 1 year.

Small dorsal bump

Small irregularities rarely appear after rhinoplasty.  A small rasping procedure should be able to correct this.  Consult with your plastic surgeon.  Best wishes!

Rhinoplasty and clet lip and palate

Given that you are only three months out, youy should wait more time to see the final result.  If the bump gets "exposed" with dimninishing swelling, then you may need a revision.

Time is needed for final results to be obvious

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned especially with the small bump on the bridge of your nose. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

With the lack of surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive medical answer.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself and to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Still with a Bump

It is difficult to know whether a residual bump is a new break, due to insufficient reduction or tip support during surgery, or just postsurgical swelling. It is still early on the overall timeline of things to make a determination regarding whether you would need additional surgery. I think the best bet would be to visit with your surgeon and discuss your concerns. That way, he or she could examine your nose firsthand and give you reassurance or guidance on what the next steps would be.

Good luck,

Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too soon to tell

A bump after rhinoplasty may be due to swelling. Expect at least one year to see the result. Sometimes scar tissue can form where your bump use to be. A steroid injection can sometimes minimize that.

Good luck!

Rhinoplasty

I think so long as you can't see the bump it is fine. As far as running into the cupboard I think it is unlikely that it did any damage.

David E. Kim, MD