Open wound - labia separation. (photos)

First of All im sorry for my broken English. Ive had Labiaplasty 12Days ago.In 4days stiches were dissolved and labia separated. My doctor sayd to wait 6months for repair.And to come in 5months for control.My doctor is in another city and i cannot go there when i want, so i need some answers I still have some soft pains and little bleeding. I have any chance to look normal in time without surgery? When it will heal? And how much time i need to wait till i can go to beach or have sexual activity.

Ability for Revision Labiaplasty Surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. I definitely understand your concern, and if you face any worry or concern you should not hesitate to visit your surgeon in person to make sure there are no infections or other problems. However, I do agree with your surgeon's advice on waiting six months, in order to allow the nitial surgery to resolve. Revisions are generally possible but, as with other surgeries, revision becomes more difficult than the initial first operation. These should be performed by a surgeon experienced with Cosmetic Female Genital Surgery. You should wait at least 6 months for the initial surgery to resolve. Tissues need to heal and soften before they are re-operated upon. So, just be patient, cautious with the operated area, and hopefully it will work better than expected. best of luck to you!

Labia Separation

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. You had disruption of a wedge laibaplasty.  The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.
Gary J. Alter, M.D.Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Total separation of V-wedge labiaplasty. Why? What to do??

Why did this happen? One or more of 3 reasons: 1. If you are a cigarette smoker or have high blood sugar(cigarette smokers & diabetics do not heal well, period.) 2. Possibly poor technique without the placement of an additional 1-2 layers of "scaffolding" sutures under the skin. Or, 3. You possibly did physical activities in the first 7-10 days which pulled the suture line apart; your surgeon should have instructed you to REALLY TAKE IT EASY for the first 7-10 days.
What should you do? It really makes no difference now WHY (except that if you're a smoker, you really should quit if you want it to heal over...) There it is. This can be reconstructed to look fairly good, BUT: let it heal fully by keeping it clean and letting the tissue TOTALLY heal. DO NOT (!!) let anyone "reconstruct" it for at least 6 months (Yes! really!). Then, only go to a Plastic Surgeon experienced in"flaps." Your revision will probably need a "flap," bringing down the upper labum to cover over the defect. At the same time, you may wish a small linear revision of what will be a small "bumpy" area on the anastamosis site on the left side for "matching" purposes.  Do not be afraid to "travel" to fine the best surgeon for your revision. This is the ONLY chance you will have to re-construct successfully!
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Best to get these questions answered by your MD

Sorry that this has happened. I can only count on two fingers the number of times this has happened to my patients, and it hasn't happened for a very long time thankfully. This has to do with the type of repair and type of sutures used. The technique unfortunately was poor. In terms of healing, 6 months is correct. If you trust your surgeon that is a good place to start for a revision. Intercourse and water/beach I would say 6-8 weeks but check in with your MD. Good luck. If you're not happy with your current doctor, it's best to find another with more experience. 

Open wound after labiaplasty

Thank you for your question.  My recommendation is to seek immediate repair of the open wound by a board certified plastic surgeon.  If this is not possible, application of Mupirocin ointment four times a day can be beneficial.  It may take 3 to 12 weeks for total healing.  You should not engage in any sexual activity until there is full healing. To avoid bacterial contamination from the ocean, I would also recommend not going to the beach until there is full healing.  Please note most patients heal within 3-4 weeks.  I hope this is helpful.  Best wishes in your recovery!

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS

Board Certified ENT

Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty open wound

Thank you for your question. The labial breakdown that you have on the side pictured will heal with topical ointments. A small amount of bleeding is normal until it heals. Unfortunately, without surgical correction, you will always have some degree of notching at the edge without a smooth appearance. This may fade and improve some over time, but I anticipate you'll want a surgical revision. 6months is a very common time to suggest repair. 
I would wait to submerge the area in a bath or at the beach until it is completely healed, 4 weeks at minimum in my practice. This is the same time for sexual activity, although you may need at least 6 weeks before sex given the area that broke down and now has to heal on its own. 
Best of luck and I hope it heals quickly and uneventfully for you!
Dr. Hustak

Kristi Hustak, MD

Labioplasty wound opened

Hi Mataplm
Sorry about your situation.  Since the sutures dissolved so quickly, the wound opened up.  It is possible that you may heal without need of additional surgery, but not likely.
You need to keep the area as clean as possible and sitz baths would help.  Sex will be possible when you are healed and comfortable.  Healing will take several weeks, but complete healing will take several months.  Please check with the doctor for specific care instructions and activity instructions.
Sek

Open wound - labia separation

iam sorry about your complication,it is prudent to wait atleast 6 months minimum,there is no point in hurrying,give tissues to heal well,the more you wait the better for you ,this is definitely not an emergency and it is definitely better to wait,was this done by the same surgeon ?

Thangavel Ayyappan, MBBS, MS, MCh, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon

Example of wedge resection breakdown

Dear Matapim:
I am sorry to hear of your surgical problem.  This is a typical example of what happens with the wedge resection technique does not heal well.  The problem with this situation it is often difficult to repair. It will not repair on its own and you will have a permanent wedge defect here until you have it repairs.  I just operated on a patient from Miami Fl who had her wedge resection performed and it broke down.  Since that time she had 2 repair surgeries and these also broke down.   She came to me at that point and did not have enough tissue to attempt a further wedge resection repair.  I have been repairing labiaplasties for more than 20 years, there is not reason why you need to wait longer than 4 months. 
John R Miklos MD
Urogyencologist & Cosmetic Vaginal SurgeonAtlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Open wound - labia separation.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  I am sorry to see your labial repair issues and agree that you have had a complete separation of one of your wedge resection repairs.  Correction will need to take place in the future once the swelling of this first procedure resolves and your skin returns to its normal suppleness.  This is typically in the 3-6 month range.  Repair when you are still swollen or the tissues irritated is not advised as the chance of recurrent breakdown is high.  Hope this helps.