Any suggestions for Breast augmentation?

I am 28 years old and I am considering a breast augmentation would I need a mammogram done before consultation or as my doctor requests?!

At your age there would not typically be a requirement for a mammogram baseline test before BA surgery and mammograms can be safely done after BA. I recommend that you discuss this with your chosen Plastic Surgeon.
All the best

Breast Augmentation at 28

Thank you for your question.  A mammogram at 28 years old is not required before a breast augmentation. Unless you have a family history of breast cancer at a young age it probably wouldn't be suggested.  Definitely talk with your doctor and do as requested by them.  For my practice we don't require a mammogram unless you are 40 or older.As you are in the beginning stages of planning for your breast augmentation I think my Breast Augmentation Planner would be extremely helpful to you. If you would like to download a free copy to help plan and answer a lot of questions regarding a breast augmentation, you can go to of luck!

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Mammograms not required

at your age before an augmentation but if you want 'for sures', you can get one that can be your baseline for future comparisons or if your surgeon is concerned for any reason.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  The best advice would be to discuss this with your surgeon prior to consultation.  Unless you have a familial history of masses in the breast or breast cancer, for the age you are it would not be common for a physician to request a mammogram.With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Breast Augmentation Age 28

Without a face to face examination and review of other patients' photos I can only give you general recommendations.  Keep in mind that each surgeon had preferred incisions, implant brands and general recommendations based on each surgeon's experience.I generally recommend avoidance of overly large implants, prefer a well hidden nipple (intra areolar) incision or a transaxillary (armpit) incision and the use of partial subpectoral smooth round silicone cohesive breast implants.  I take responsibility for the final implant size based on the patient's goals and what I find to most closely match those goals during the surgery.  Others prefer to have patients stuff a bra with different sizes and make the final decision before surgery.  Each works well for someone who is experienced, but again avoidance of stretching your tissues too much is very important to give you the best chance of a complication free and natural looking result.Meet with several ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeons in your area to be certain that you are comfortable and feel that you can trust your surgeon.  He/she should seem available, interested and willing to hear what it is that you want.  Please also watch the video above about choices that you can make.  Good luck and best wishes,Jon A. Perlman, M.D. FACSCertified, American Board of Plastic SurgeryMember, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)Beverly Hils, Ca.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.
At 28 years old, you do not need a mammogram prior to breast augmentation surgery unless you have a family history for breast cancer. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. best of luck! Dr Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Some surgeons do requests a preoperative mammagram in all women who have not had a recent one. However, unless you have a family history of breast cancer, a mammagram is usually not ordered for someone your age.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram or imaging before breast augmentation

Thank you for asking. Most 28 year old patients do not need mammograms prior to breast surgery. Sometimes a patient may need an ultrasound. See a board certified plastic surgeon who can help guide you. Best wishes! 

No mammogram needed

Thank you for your question. At 28 years old, you do not need a mammogram prior to breast augmentation surgery. I hope this helps.
- Dr Bryson Richards (Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon)

Getting a mammogram before a breast augmentation

It's always  a good idea to discuss with your surgeon his or her protocol for preoperative mammogram evaluation. The American Cancer Association currently recommends initial screening at age 45. I recommend a mammogram to my patients at any age if they have a mother or sister with a history of breast cancer. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Good luck.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon