Is there a certain age preference to get a breast reduction?

I am 19 but my breasts are painful, giving me a sore back and my bra always hurts me. My breasts are almost too big to buy a bra without getting it special made. I get irritation / almost like a rash under my boobs frequently. Will this procedure affect pregnancy later on?

Breast Reduction Candidate

Based on your description, it appears as though you would benefit from a breast reduction. In fact, I’ve seen many patients with similar concerns as you who have undergone this procedure. Many of these patients noticed a significant improvement in the overall size and shape of their breasts, and with no concern during pregnancy. If breast reduction surgery is something you’re considering, I would suggest scheduling a consultation with a qualified, board certified plastic surgeon, as he/she can better asses your situation in person.

Am I Too Young for Breast Reduction Surgery?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to undergo #breastreduction.  The symptoms that you are experiencing are quite typical for a woman with large breasts. In addition to relieving the physical discomfort, we find that breast reduction also improves self image, allows for participation in various physical activities and it's easier to find clothes that fit.

In general when the excessive breast size causes functional problems, #insurance will generally pay for #breastreduction if more than 400 – 500 grams are removed from each breast dependent on your individual insurance company requirements. These problems may include neck #pain, back or shoulder pain, hygiene difficulty, and breast pain. 

One thing to keep in mind is that at your age, your breasts may still be developing. Because of this, you may experience continued breast growth even after surgery. Breast reduction will not cause any problems with future pregnancies, however it may decrease your ability to breastfeed.

The best advise I can give you is to schedule a consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon who will be qualified to evaluate your current breast shape and volume. They will also be able to explain all of your options. Good luck!

Breast reduction age

It sounds like you would be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery.  I would recommend you get a consultation with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck,

Optimal age for early breast reduction?

Considering the symptoms that you describe you sound like you are good candidate to proceed with breast reduction at this time. You should be at a healthy and maintainable (perhaps not an ideal) weight before proceeding and should not be smoking or using any blood thinning medications.  Some of our happiest patients are those who have gone through breast reduction surgery and feel that they look slimmer, stand taller and have far less neck, shoulder and back pain on a daily basis.  I always warned patients that if their breasts continue to grow after the reduction procedure could possibly need to be repeated but for most waiting till year 19 is sufficient.  Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon to review your symptoms, the surgery in the healing course at your convenience.  Enjoy the video above regarding breast reduction surgery.  Regards,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast reduction

Normall any time after 16 is fine.  19 I would say that you are the ideal candidate considering your complaints. You will not only improve the aesthetics of your breast but you will improve your quality of life by removing the excess weight of skin that is causing you problems.  I recommend that you see a board-certified plastic surgeon for a consultation and go over all of your options. 

As long as you have stopped breast development and are at a stable size there is no reason not to get a breast reduction if you want. You would see a dramatic relief of your symptoms. It is important to understand you may not be able to breast feed after the surgery, but you may not be able to anyway. Many of my older reduction patients tell me they could not breast feed and that was before their surgery. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Is there a specific age before you can have a breast reduction

thank you for your question. By your age, your breast should be fully developed and formed.  Sounds like you are having lots of symptoms from your large breasts. You would be a great candidate for a breast reduction surgery. However, this surgery will most likely affect your ability to breast-feed down the road. Milk ducts will be damaged during breast reduction surgery as the breast tissue is removed. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Breast reduction.

There are some considerations when deciding to make a reduction mammoplasty. surgery does not affect breastfeeding. however, if you want to get pregnant soon, I recommend doing at least one year after breastfeeding. if you have no plans for pregnancy, you can operate perfectly.

Jaralampos Giagtzidakis, MD
Venezuela Plastic Surgeon

I'm sorry to hear about the problems your disproportionately large breasts cause. Generally speaking, if patients are experiencing enough physical and/or psychosocial distress caused by disproportionately large breasts, I think that breast reduction surgery sooner, rather than later will likely be in their best interests.  I would suggest that you seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons to demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Then, communicate your goals carefully as well. Learn about the pros/cons/possible risks/complications associated with the procedure. After doing so, you will be able to make a good decision regarding timing of the breast reduction procedure.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns, helpful to you. Best wishes.

Best Age to Have a Breast Reduction? #breastreduction

• It sounds like you are having a lot of symptoms related to your large breasts. 
  • Once your breasts are finished growing (and by 19 they should be), it is fine to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to find out more about a breast reduction.
  • I have performed breast reductions in young women such as yourself who have really benefitted from this life-changing operation.
  • Additionally, I've operated on many women in their 30s-60s who have told me they wished they wouldn't have waited so long to have their breast reduction!
  • The operation won't affect your pregnancy, however, there will be a decreased chance of you being able to breast feed.  Still, chances are quite good that you will still be able to breastfeed. 
  • Best of luck to you!