One month after surgery and my nipples are still kinda pointy.

My surgery was on the 17th December. I wore the compressive garment until the 19th this month. Are they supposed to be this way by this time? Or should I continue wearing the garment?

Pointy Nipples One Month After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi Ivailo,

At 4-5 weeks you are still in the early phase of healing and swelling is still present. This is especially true if you have resumed exercise as this can temporarily increase your swelling. Aside from swelling, there is one more thing that can cause fullness under the nipples, especially if they were flatter soon after surgery. That one thing is the formation of scar tissue. Sometimes, scar tissue can form and feel firm. If this is the case, follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended. Some basic massage techniques can help if there is scar tissue formation.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dadvand

One Month After Surgery and Nipples are Still Pointy

The areas after Gynecomastia Surgery may feel “lumpy” or irregular, and should decreases with time. Often massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. Also, the #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible that any indentations could be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Gynecomastia

Thank you for the photos.  It can take a few months for all the swelling to subside.  I would follow the garmet protocol your doctor gave you. 

Tim Neavin, MD

Give it some more time

Please wait a couple more months before you assess your results. It's a little too early and you may be affected by swelling.

Pointed nipples after male breast reduction.

One month after surgery is relatively early to assess the condition of the nipples.
Don't be impatient and if you are unsure please consult your surgeon.

Erel Laufer, MD
Dunedin Plastic Surgeon