Can a build up fluid post gynecomastia surgery make it look like one side may not have been operated on properly? (photo)

My right pectoral seems perfect atm and I'm very happy however my left seems that there may be some glad left and the nipple is slightly protruding and lower than the right nipple, is that did to fluid build up and will that fade or will I need corrective surgery? :(

Asymmetry Post Op

It's very possible. However, #asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.  Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Swelling after Gynecomastia surgery

Depending on how long it's been since your surgery, you could certainly have some fluid (swelling) in one breast that makes it look larger or more protruding. If your surgery was within the past 4-6 weeks, continued use of a compression garment may help. Usually, it's a good idea to wait at least six months before considering any type of revision. You might not need more surgery, and if you do, the surgery will be easier once the tissues have softened and swelling is gone.

Andres Taleisnik, MD