Breast lift with implant 7-29-16. Right breast has swollen all of a sudden for 2 weeks? (Photos)

Right breast much more swollen than left and my left side is my dominant. My nurse and surgeon can't seem to figure out why it's so swollen and there's no obvious signs of infection. I'm not lifting anything heavy, no exercise and not doing vigorous cleaning or intercourse. Any opinions on why all of a sudden my right breast would retain fluid and when it will subside??

Breast issue

If you have noticed recent swelling , then you should speak to your surgeon and be evaluated in person.  Best of luck.

Swelling

I share the concern of Dr. Hunsaker. If it developed "all of a sudden" I would be concerned for fluid collection that needs to be drained. If they are unsure hey could consider an ultrasound to evaluate the breast.

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon

Breast swelling

You should be evaluated for some type of fluid collection rather than just swelling.  An ultrasound may be helpful and diagnostic.  As stated by others it can be multiple things such as blood, seroma, etc.  If this turns out to be the case it should be removed surgically.  Good luck! 

New swelling

If this is new and sudden, it represents fluid which should be removed. Whether it is serous, bloody, lymph or pus it is best to drain it and if any other action is necessary based on the type of fluid, then that should be undertaken as well.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Swelling

I'm assuming you recently had breast augmentation with breast lift. I think that represents either blood or fluid around the implant until proven otherwise. An ultrasound can be helpful in diagnosing it and if it's a significant fluid I do think it should be drained and perhaps washed out.

Edward S. Gronka, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Postop swelling

It is hard to know what is going on just with photos. It could be general swelling, but more likely you have a discrete fluid collection around the implant.  This fluid is often serous fluid (seroma), but it could be blood (less likely), or an infection (much less likely based on the lack of redness).  The best first option would be to get an ultrasound to assess for a fluid collection.  If one is there, it can be drained under ultrasound (to avoid damaging the implant), and that fluid can be sent for culture if it looks suspicious for an infection.  Removing the fluid will also help things heal faster.  If it is a hematoma (blood collection in the pocket), that would generally need to be cleaned out surgically.How long things will take to resolve depend on what's causing the problem in the first place.  I think that an ultrasound would be a smart, low impact, and relatively inexpensive first step to figure out this process.

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implant 7-29-16. Right breast has swollen all of a sudden for 2 weeks?

Return to your surgeon for follow up.  If you are having any pain or redness this would be a sign of infection. It is rare to see an infected implant, but it can happen.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD