Gynecomastia or just fat? (Photos)

So I got Gyno surgery about 2 years ago lipo and gland excision and it's still not as flat as I would like it to be. I'm about the same weight I was when I got the surgery. It looks a lot better then it did before but I still feel like it looks funny and not flat like a normal guys chest. I am def overweight some but I still feel that it shouldn't be pointy looking like that still. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks so much for everyones time who answers.

Gynecomastia or just fat? (Photos)

I would recommend an in person consultation to determine proper treatment. Best of luck.

Ron Hazani, MD

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Is it fat or gynecomastia?

Hi and thanks for your question,

It is difficult to tell without examination and knowing exactly what was done on your previous operation.  I often perform liposuction at the same time as the gland removal in order to give the best possible aesthetic outcome. Of course if you gain weight, it can still show up on your chest.  You could be a candidate for liposuction of your chest to improve the contour if it really bothers you. 

Hope this helps!!

Robin Evans, MD, FRCSC
British Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for gynecomastia

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

The Lasting Effects of Gynecomastia Surgery

The #recurrence of breast enlargement is uncommon following #gynecomastia surgery.
However, it can occur. If this happens, you may require further surgery in the future.

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
Therefore, weight gain, steroid use,recreational drug use and have hormonal conditions can contribute to a return of gynecomastia regardless of previous surgical removal and treatments.

Each patient is unique and previous #results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic.

Gynecomastia or just fat?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Unfortunately it is impossible to diagnose your chest tissues as residual gynecomastia without an in-person examination but based on your pictures alone it appears that your tissues are largely adipose in nature.  For true confirmation I would recommend following up with your surgeon to discuss your current results and have treatment options recommended.  Hope this helps.

Gynecomastia or just fat?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate residualgynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. 

Generally speaking, liposuction surgery alone is useful to treat lipomastia (an enlarged chest secondary to adipose tissue); rarely does it suffices as the only modality of treatment when it comes to treating true gynecomastia. Most patients with gynecomastia benefit from direct excision of glandular tissue plus/minus peripheral liposuction surgery.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Gynecomastia or just fat?

Thank you for your question. Gynecomastia is the condition of enlarged or overdeveloped breasts in men. While gynecomastia is common, the social stigma is often enough to lead men to cosmetic surgery. There are many causes of overdeveloped breasts due to changes in hormones, heredity, disease, and the use of certain drugs. Since you have already had surgery I recommend that you make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for a thorough physical exam and to discuss your surgical options.