16 days post op TT. Am I overdoing it?

Walking in house , letting dogs in,out, wiping feet, light cooking. On feet on and off all day. One JP out ,one left to go.20 cc last 4 days output. MD says too much draining, too much activity. Sit all day. How do I know if I am compromising my recovery internally?

Are You Overdoing It at 16 Days Post-Op

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

If you find yourself concerned about healing it would be best to visit your surgeon for a follow-up appointment to make sure that everything is progressing well. Good luck.

Activity after TT

16 days out is still very early, so you're probably over doing it. You'll know if you are very tired at mid day or if drainage starts to increase or you feel very sore. Most of all, try and follow your surgeon's instructions. 

All the best in your recovery,

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Too much draining?

Thanks for this important question. I have my patients walk around every 2 hours perform 50 to 100 paces. I do not recommend doing too much with pets. I suggest you ask your plastic surgeon for a more rigid recommendation about how many steps and how often they think is appropriate for your recovery at this time. Based on the activities you've described, I don't see that you have compromised your recovery. Best wishes, DR. ALDO :)

Aldo Guerra, MD

Tummy tuck and activity

Thanks for your inquiry.  I suggest you listen to your plastic surgeon's advice. Your recovery may be slower than others and your surgeon is trying to modify for you.  I wish you a speedy recovery.  

16 days post op

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (16 days post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Postoperative tummy tuck

Ultimately, the only person who should be dictating your postoperative instructions and limitations is the surgeon who performs the procedure.  Only he/she knows your background, your specific case, the surgical maneuvers planned and performed, etc.  While we online consultants aim to help as much as possible, it is not appropriately that we be dictating any aspect of the postoperative care for a patient with whom we are not familiar, nor have even met.

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon