Why is Tylenol better than Motrin after cool sculpting?

What is the typical time frame for burning and stabbing feeling to subside

Coolsculpting

I would recommend Tylenol extra strength and not Motrin after your procedure for mild discomfort.  The new 35 minute Cool-Advantage piece only takes 35 minutes and causes much less discomfort. Please consult a board certified dermatologist who is an expert in Coolsculpting for the best cosmetic advice.  Best, Dr. Green

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. There has not been any research showing Tylenol being better than Motrin after coolsculpting. 

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Tylenol vs Motrin

Generally it is recommended to avoid Motrin with any procedure that uses inflammation to generate the aesthetic result. Coolsculpting has a resulting inflammation after cell death that will contribute to your after result of fat reduction and mild skin tightening as a result of the mild inflammation.  So I recommend starting with Tylenol and if the discomfort is not improved then trying Motrin if needed.

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician

Tylenol or Motrin after CoolSculpting

The thought is that Motrin which is categorized as a non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory (NSAID) could reduce inflammation after the CoolSculpting procedure and that this inflammation is needed to get the result. Tylenol does not have an anti-inflammatory effect and so will not alter the results. I'm not one of the believers in this theory and so I tell my patients to start with Tylenol and if that doesn't help then to use the Motrin or another NSAID for post procedure pain.

Tylenol is better

Because the inflammation is the natural process of cell death, to take an anti-inflammatory could interfere with the results of the treatment. Tylenol can help with the pain without interfering with the process. St. Johns Wort, Feverfew, Skullcap extracts can help with the post treatment nerve pain.

Maiysha Clairborne, MD
Atlanta Family Physician

Pain after Coolsculpting treatment

Theoretically, Motrin is an anti inflammatory and may affect your outcome negatively. I don't subscribe to this and you can take it. Zimmer Z Wave and the new Cooladvantage hand pieces lead to less pain after the treatment. Topical lidocaine seems to work well too. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Burning Feeling After CoolSculpting

This is a nerve pain that can occur in some patients after CoolSculpting. Either Tylenol or Motrin (Ibuprofen) is fine to control it. In rare cases a prescription medication may be needed. Compression garments, warm/cold compresses, and lidocaine patches can also help. It usually fully resolves after an average of about 2 weeks. We have the new CoolAdvantage applicator and have not seen any cases of this with the new applicator. 

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Tylenol or Motrin after treatment

Following Cool sculpt tylenol or motrin is fine. If you're having discomfort you can also add in icing and compressions. If the discomfort is intolerable call the center, there are options for prescription help like a  lidocaine patch. It can take up to 3 weeks for discomfort to subside. best of luck 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

CS questions

Thank you for your question. Burning and stabbing sensation usually last several days. Numbness and bruising of the treated area can last for 2-4wks. I had it done personally, and had mild burning for 2-3days but numbness and bruising lasted almost 3 weeks. Motrin is not effective against post treatment symptoms because they are caused by affected nerve receptors and Motrin usually works best againts inflammation. Actually with CS we need some inflammation to get read of fat cells. Plus Motrin may increase bruising. I usually prescribe Neurontin, if discomfort is too bad. Hope this helps

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist

OTC after coolsculpting

Temporary burning, stinging, or tenderness is common after coolsculpting treatments depending on the areas treated.  Any otc pain medication is fine to use.  Ibuprofen is fine to use as is acetaminophen.  This generally resolves in a few days.  In some patients, there can be a more severe or crampy pain (especially in treatments around the abdomen) that needs to be treated with prescription medications.  Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon