Can Thermiva help with urinary frequency?

I am 44yo, currently urinating over 30 times a day! I have had all the tests done by a urologist, clearing me of any problems. They have offered me a botox for my bladder but want to explore other options. Would Thermiva would reduce the number of times I go per day?

ThermiVa and urinary frequency

The symptoms you describe are caused by OAB (overactive bladder) and ThermiVa is not indicated for that condition. It does help with minor stress incontinence and if some of your urination problems are caused by that, ThermiVa could relief some of the symptoms. Good luck.

Livingston Physician

Severe urinary frequency

If you have failed the typical medications for frequency/ overactive bladder. You may have undergone urodynamic testing ( bladder function testing ) and cystoscopy to identify potential bladder pathology. Hopefully, your doctor has reviewed your fluid intake along with a urinary diary. Due to the severity of your symptoms the next line of therapy would be Botox bladder injections or InterStIm sacral neuromodulation. However, I have seen THERMIva be effective for milder frequency/ stress / urge incontinence to help reduce or resolve  symptoms.

Urinary stress incontinence

In my practice I have treated women with urinary stress incontinence, frequency and urgency using a series of three treatments.  Uniformly I have had significant improvement in their symptoms.  I would caution that ThermiVa is not a cure all for extreme or advanced cases and my results may be patient selection.    ThermiVa is rapidly gaining acceptance by Physicians and many are using this as their frontline treatment of new patients with these problems.  There is very little downside risk to this procedure

Will Thermiva help with overactive bladder?

Its possible that it will help you but I would not recommend for this indication.  If you have stress incontinence or laxity or orgasmic difficulties or trouble with the appearance or even atrophy/dryness then I would strongly consider giving thermiva a chance.  It will help with those other issues and may help with your bladder function.  That said, OAB is disruptive to a person's life.  Botox is one direction.  Another direction is a device called an interstim which is like a pacemaker for the bladder.  Of course, you would try these after definite trials of medication including antimuscarinic therapy such as Detrol and Ditropan and the Beta 3 agonist Myrabegron.  Also your urologist should teach you about behavioral changes such as bladder training.  And you should be careful of things that irritate your bladder such as spicy food or diet soda etc....

Frequent urination

ThermiVa was originally designed and approved to treat vaginal atrophy. It was noted later that it helps a lot with stress urinary incontinence, especially if it not very severe. As of now it is not officially indicated for Overactive bladder (urgency, frequency and urge incontinence), but we see our patients reporting some improvement in those symptoms as well. Hope this helps.

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist

ThermiVa

ThermiVa has been shown to help symptoms associated with stress incontinence.  You may find it could have a synergistic affect when used in conjunction with other treatments for urgency.  I encourage you to speak with a provider in your area for more information.

Camille Cash, MD

Maybe?

Urinary frequency and urge incontinence (as opposed to stress incontinence) are not necessarily addressed by ThermiVa.  There have been some preliminary reports that it can help, but in my experience, it's 50:50.  On the other hand, stress incontinence (leaking with cough, laugh, sneeze, etc) is very well treated with ThermiVa, with a very high (90%+) patient satisfaction rate.  If you also experience vaginal dryness, laxity, or decreased sensation during intercourse, then ThermiVa would still be a good option for you, because it will definitely help all of those, but if you are only attempting to address urinary frequency and/or urgency, then you could be wasting your money.  I assume you have tried some of the various medications for this?  They can have side effects in some patients (dry mouth, constipation), but generally work very well for "overactive bladder."

THERMIVA FOR FREQUENCY

Yes, ThermiVa has been studied for frequency and urgency. I have been using it on my patients for the last 6 months with great results. It is a simple, no downtime, 30 minute procedure. For many women not wanting to  take medications with side effects, it is a good option. Although not covered by insurance, patients suffering with quality of life issues bladder symptoms have been finding it worth the money.

Haydee Docasar, MD
Henderson OB/GYN

Frequent urination

Sorry to hear about your issues.  ThermiVa was originally targeting tissue tightening, but was found to have secondary benefits of improvement in urinary stress incontinence.  That is the leakage of urine with cough, sneeze, laugh or just not enough time to get to the bathroom.  Kegel exercises can help improve the muscle tone to the area and when combined with ThermiVa can give some women significant improvement in their symptoms.  Urinary frequency or urge incontinence may or may not respond to ThermiVA.  Some studies are being done but the answer is not there yet.   So its kind of hit or miss.  If you have other issues such as looseness or dryness, then it may be worth perusing.  Other considerations may be a second opinion prior to moving forward.  Best wishes with your quest for answers.

Thermi Va for Frequency

Hi, actually Thermi has been studied for urgency and frequency and was presented at the last International Urogyn Meeting and did show a significant improvement in symptoms. There have been a couple other small case series that have confirmed this as well. However, there is no insurance cover for Thermi therefore you will have to pay cash for it and ultimately take a chance to see if it will work for you 

Robert D. Moore, DO
Atlanta Urogynecologist