Is there a way to nourish your skin and replace collagen and dead cells from the deep layers of your skin?

I had one vial of Voluma injected a year ago. I wasn't happy with the results so I let it dissolve naturally. Now my skin is saggy and lifeless. I would like to find a noninvasive way to regain elastin and collagen that was lost.

Ways to boost collagen

Thank you for your question. Put simply, yes, there are many different options to help boost the collagen layer in your skin. Although your concern is with the deeper layers of the skin, it's important to treat the skin as an entire unit. For nearly all of my patients, I recommend a retinol to help with skin quality and turnover. 
There are other products on the market, from the SkinMedica line, that I encourage my patients to use. TNS Essential Serum contains growth factors that really do improve the overall quality and texture of skin. HA5 is a serum that provides 5 different types of collagen to plump up the skin and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. SkinMedica prides itself on groundbreaking research; when used consistently, they do work. 
Lastly, you may want to learn more about Ulthera. This is a non-invasive treatment using Ultrasound that causes microdamage to the facial skin and muscle layer, which stimulates collagen. It is the only FDA-approved modality to help lift the face. It can be used on the decolletage, neck, jawline, cheeks, brows and forehead. The procedure takes about an hour, and while not comfortable, most patients can tolerate it well with Motrin and topical or injectable anesthetics.  
Something a little more invasive, but may also help with droopy skin and overall skin quality is a medium-depth peel or laser (fraxel). While these procedures typically do require some downtime (about a week), and you may remain persistently red for up to three weeks (but can cover this up with make-up), the results can be dramatic. 

Replacing lost collagen

There are a number of options from high end skin care to lasers. My best advice would be to find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to be assessed in person. Preferably one who offers an array of non-surgical options. Just make sure that you are realistic in terms of your expectations. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rebuilding collagen and elastin noninvasively

Dear cceppa:There are several topical products that can remodel the skin by increasing the production  of connective tissue proteins including collagen and elastin.  These include retinol, one of the growth factor serums #Regenica or #TNS, glycolic acid-containing creams, vitamin C creams, and #Alastin. The latter also removes AGEs, clumps of degraded collagen complexed with sugar which cause wrinkles and deep furrows, from the skin.Noninvasive procedures which can remodel and rebuild connective tissue proteins include #Ultherapy and #Pellevé. A minimally invasive procedure with very little downtime is #Microneedling with PRP. A board-certified dermatologist who offers all of these options would be able to help you determine the best approach for you.#All the best,  Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Replace Collagen in your skin through Thermage

Thermage is the best way to replace  collagen in your skin and help tighten the jowls and face as well.  Please consult an expert for these lasers.  Best, Dr. Green

Stimulating new collagen formation

Thank you for your question cceppa. Voluma is a great treatment to restore volume to various parts of the face. One thing that happens with age is that we lose collagen, the protein in the skin that makes the skin look nice and tight and firm and youthful. As a result we see wrinkles and sagging skin. Topical products that stimulate collagen include retinoids, peptides (such as those in the Alastin Skin Nectar), growth factors (SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum, Neocutis Biocream), vitamin C, and hydroxyl acids. Treatments that stimulate collagen include microneedling, dermabrasion, laser resurfacing, fractional laser resurfacing, non-ablative laser treatments, chemical peels, laser skin tightening, radiofrequency, Ultherapy, and Sculptra. Please consult with a doctor for specific advice. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Improve skin without Voluma

Thank you for asking about your skin improvement.
  • Without at least a photo, one can only advise you in general.
  • Many treatments improve the skin -
  • A good way to start is with a skin care program such as Obagi or at least with tretinoin, combined with microneedling of the skin.
  • I suggest you see a plastic surgeon or dermatologist for a skin examination and detailed recommendations.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS