Are my implants placed too low or is this my anatomy? (photos)

Hello experts! I'm 22 with no kids. First BA 375 subglandular HP June 2013 and my second 500cc with full anchor lift June 2016. I asked my surgeon (the second BA) if I could have more upper pole fullness with this lift and it seems I have the same result just smaller areola and bigger implants. The reason of me getting the second BA and lift was because the first implants seemed to sag, but granted with my natural breasts had more lower fullness. Please be honest and thanks a lot for your time!

May have early sagging

It looks like you may have some early sagging which is not uncommon. A revision  may be necessary and then the areola around the border of your incision can also likely be treated.

Are my implants placed too low or is this my anatomy?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation/lifting procedure.  Most of your photographs do demonstrate significant volume along the lower breast poles and less volume along the upper breast poles.  Maintenance of long term upper pole volume can be quite challenging, especially for patients who undergo breast augmentation/lifting surgery. 

However, at this point, given that there is a capsule around your breast at this point, capsulorraphy techniques can be utilized to provide more support along the lower breast goals and help achieve more volume along the upper breast poles.  This technique, sometimes with the addition of official support of materials such as acellular dermal matrix or biosynthetic mesh ( "internal bra"), may help achieve the longer term upper pole volume that you (and many women) seek.   You may find the attached link/video helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Breast augmentation/lift

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to discuss your questions and concerns with your plastic surgeon seeing as they know your anatomy and surgery best. Your second breast augmentation/lift has given you a nice outcome by correcting the sagging of your breasts and size of your areola’s. The lack of upper pole fullness is most likely due to your anatomy and low body fat/breast tissue. If you are unhappy with the fullness on top, I would discuss a revision with your doctor or another board certified plastic surgeon. This may be corrected by harvesting fat from another area on your body and re-injecting it into the upper pole of the breast to provide more fullness to the area. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

#breastaugmentation #implants #plasticsurgery

Hello Janell, Congratulations on your recent surgery and thank you for sharing your question about your post operative recovery and results after your breast augmentation surgery.  Final results can take up to six months for all the swelling to subside.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our breast surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.  Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast position

Everything looks fine . Your chest is quite long and your breast tend to be lower on your chest so your anatomy is definitely a factor

BAM with upper pole hollowness

You have a nice result after your second BAM.  The upper pole hollowness you have noted is from the fact that you are using a high-profile implant and are relatively skinny with little fat/breast tissue to cover the implant.  Fat grafting - where fat is taken from areas you don't want it and placed in areas you do (in this case, the upper pole of both breasts) can correct this without a third BAM.  Even in skinny women, the hips and thighs are typically good areas to harvest fat for this purpose.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon