I had a open nose job done 4 months ago & ever since I've taken the cast off I've been wearing tape but why is my nose swollen?

I had a nose job done 4 months ago and after my nasal cast I've been wearing tape over my nose everyday since then, my doctor told me to wear it for 6 months but I feel like it's not doing much my nose always looks swollen, why? He lifted my nose up and thinned the top bone I had an open surgery but my question is why is it still swollen even after wearing tape For 4 months

Swelling timeline

I tell my patients that for a first-time rhinoplasty, during the first 6 weeks anyone walking down the street will be able to tell you have had nasal surgery, for the next 6 weeks your close friends and family who know your face well can still see swelling, and then the remaining 20% of swelling will gradually resolve until one year out from surgery.  

Don't sweat it, expect swelling to gradually resolve.  The body has a wonderful ability to heal this part on it's own without intervention from the patient or surgeon.  It just takes time.  

Dubuque Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal swelling

Nasal swelling will go down on its own. I don't think long term use of tape will do anything.  It can take a year or longer.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

There are many factors which determine the degree of swelling each person experiences after rhinoplasty.  Without photos or knowing your skin type it is difficult to assess your specific case.  Typically swelling fluctuates after rhinoplasty.  It is generally worse in the morning, after exercise, the morning after a salty meal, and, for females, according to their menstrual cycle.  The fluctuation in swelling will vary for months after surgery until it eventually dissipates.  The skin undergoes a "shrinkwrap" effect after rhinoplasty, eventually conforming to the underlying shape of the nose.

Swelling after open rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question. This is a common thing noticed by patients who have had an open rhinoplasty. Blood coming to the nasal skin normally partly drains through little veins in the columella. These veins are divided in open surgery which temporarily impairs the ability of fluid to drain from the nasal skin, particularly in the region of the tip. This eventually settles down, but you may notice swelling that can vary quite a bit from day to day or week to week. By about a year following your operation the swelling should settle down into your permanent result. Hang in there!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prolonged nose swelling

Swelling after rhinoplasty can take 1 whole year to resolve.  Taping certainly helped but in some cases Kenalog injections can help expedite the process.  Probably the best first step would be to use 1 round of oral steroids such as Medrol Dosepak to reduce the swelling.  After that if it continues using diluted amounts of Kenalog injections might help as well.  In some cases they can be underlying infection that needs to be treated to reduce the amount of swelling.  Also remember that exercise, alcohol intake, exposure to sun, excessive salt intake all contribute to persistent swelling.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after open rhinoplasty

Without photos, it is difficult to provide you with an accurate assessment.  However, depending on the amount of tip-work performed, the thickness of your nasal skin, and placement of grafts, the nasal tip may be swollen for up to 1 year.  Sometimes, dilute steroid injections can help and your surgeon will recommend these when he or she feels the time is right.  Best wishes!

Nasal swelling

Part of the answer depends upon the surgical techniques used and the amount of work done upon your nose. I tell my patients that swelling can take up to a year to completely resolve, so try not to become too discouraged. I recommend you follow-up with your surgeon to discuss your concerns. Sometimes there are ways to intervene, such as steroid injections into the nose to speed resolution of swelling. Good luck!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon