I have a large black tattoo to be removed. Approx how much time and money would this would take to do? (Photo)

I know this will be pricey and take a long time. But I want to start my journey through the removal process now. I am really starting to hate myself for this really stupid decision I have made. If there are suggestions/recommendations please feel free to share.

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question in regards to tattoo removal. Suggesting how many treatments it will take, along with pricing will be determined on many factors. The size of the tattoo, along with skin type, ink color, location, amount of ink, etc. will give provider an idea of about how many treatments will be needed. Pricing will vary on the office/provider you decide to treat you. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Using a picosecond 1064nm laser PicoPrima, I would estimate 4 to 6 treatments to achieve significant removal.

It is difficult to predict how many treatments it would take to remove your tattoo completely.  Much depends on how deep the ink has been injected and how you skin responds to treatment. I would expect very good improvement after 4 to 6 treatments. Tattoos on dark skin must be treated more carefully to avoid damage to your normal pigment.  The 1064nm picosecond (PrimaPico, PicoWay or Enlighten) or short nanosecond (2-5 nanosecond lasers) e.g. Fotona QX-Max laser, will work the best for this type of tattoo and on your dark skin.  

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Taking the first step--laser tattoo removal

Cost will vary and laser tattoo removal takes a series of treatments, so it's difficult to give you a time-frame. I recommend getting a formal consultation with a tattoo removal expert. Best, Dr. Emer

​Patience is the Key to Laser Tattoo Removal

Thanks for your question.  We have treated several black/blue ink tattoos with great success.  We utilize a PicoSure with 755nm for this color ink. 

After finding an experienced provider, the next thing you need is patience.  We tell every Pico tattoo removal patient to expect at least 6 treatments and don't be surprised if it is 10-12 or longer with thick tribal tattoos.  We see some patients twice a year and their tattoos seem to clear up to 6 months.  After using the PicoSure for 2 years, we have found it is best to wait 2-6 months between treatments.  There is a limit to how small the laser can break up the ink.  It's up to you and your body to take the ink away.  We encourage our patients to drink plenty of water, sweat it out and eat a healthy diet between treatments.

We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.  You are trying to reverse permanent ink.  Good Luck and have patience!

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician

Tattoo Removal

Yes your tattoo can be removed. The best treatment is with a Picoure Laser. It will remove tattoos quicker, without scarring, and more completely. Black ink responds very well. A tattoo your size and location should reasonable removed between 7-14 treatments. Prices very for doctors and geographic regions. Please consult with a Doctor with a Picosure laser for evaluation.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon