I had Juvederm Voluma 5 wks ago. Why am I experiencing hardness and swelling?

Why am I experiencing hardness & swelling 5 wks later?

Juvederm and Side Effects

Voluma is a great product and I inject in daily without side effects.  However, the side effect that you are describing is worrisome and I would definitely return to your treating physician for examination.  Please keep us posted.  Best, Dr. Green

Lump after filler

I would return to your practitioner to discuss your options for the areas that you don't like after waiting a couple weeks for swelling to resolve... this includes hyaluronidase to reverse the filler.

My best,
Dr. Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

New Swelling and Hardness after Voluma Injections

There should not be new swelling or hardness of Juvederm Voluma 5 weeks after injection.  I would have an evaluation by your injector to insure you are not developing an infection.  You may need to start antibiotics.  

Voluma -- Post Treatment Firmness & Swelling

Thank you for submitting your concerns about swelling and firmness after Voluma injection.  Some mild swelling that lasts 1-2 weeks immediately following the injection can be normal.  If you are having firmness and swelling that has started several weeks after the initial injections, I recommend revisiting your board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon as soon as possible.

Did you have a recent dental procedure? Did you have a recent illness (flu or cold)? In Houston, I am often referred unusual complications after filler, neuromodulator (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin), and laeser treatments. I have seen delayed granulomas and infections with symptoms as you described. 

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.

I had Juvederm Voluma 5 wks ago, still hardness & welling? = bruise? #fb #voluma #drmesa

Treatment with voluma in the face is associated with the risk of swelling and hardness the could last for just few days to few weeks. 

When swelling and harness in the area treated with voluma last for more that 2 weeks it could be secondary to underlying bruising (blood accumulation in the deep tissues at the site of the voluma injection). This sometimes is evident with delayed discoloration of the skin ( usually yellow, green or brow discoloration typical of buses).

Patients with prolonged swelling and hardness after voluma treatment should be evaluated by their primary licensed cosmetic core practitioner to determine the safest management if necessary. 

John Mesa, MD

Hard to say

Hi

Thanks for the question.  Its hard to say whats going on without pictures or an exam.  See your injector for an assessment.  You may just have some inflammation that is persistent from the initial injection, but I would think at 5 weeks this would have resolved.  

Good Luck

Thank you for your question.  Following Voluma injection into the body, there will be some hardness and swelling that gradually softens over the following 2-4 weeks.  If your hardness and swelling only just developed, I would see your injector for an in-person evaluation and assessment.  One should rule out any issues, such as a possible infection.  Hope that this helps. 

After Voluma injections it is normal to have some swelling that could be visible from 2-5 weeks after injections. After 5 weeks then you need to start considering the possibility of hematoma, infection, or another complication. Please make sure that you go back to your injector for an evaluation.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon