I have deep lines coming down each side of my mouth; do you recommend a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon? (Photo)

The drooling has became almost suddenly worse in 2016. I have not seen a specialist yet. Do you recommend a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon for a consult. I live just south of Buffalo, NY

Deep Marionette lines and drooling

Dermal fillers would certainly be helpful in addressing the issue of drooling as they would support the corners of your mouth but your biggest problem is a general loss of facial volume and advanced skin laxity.  Loss of underlying volume in the upper mid and lateral cheek area accounts for the the deep lines around your mouth.  If you were to lift your skin up with your fingers over your cheek bones, you would see that those deep peri-orbital lines would be greatly decreased and your mouth would come back into a neutral or straight across line instead of a "sad smile" that it is now. Unfortunately, the amount of fillers to lift this area would be expensive and a temporary fix.  You are a young woman who would be greatly benefited from a facelift.  I would suggest you schedule a few consultations with board certified plastic surgeons in your area to see what your options are. Good luck to you on your journey!  Shelby Bentz MD

Bakersfield Physician

Fillers

I think dermal fillers can do a great job addressing sagging in the cheeks and he corners of the mouth. What's nice about fillers is that they are safe, non invasive and yield beautiful results. One of the most useful indications is to lift the corners of he mouth and improve drooling as you describe it. I think this is a great option for you. Good luck. 

Roni Munk, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon