Filler for my type of hollow eyes? (photo)

Hi; I'm 34 year old male. In the last 12 - 18 months, I think most of the fat under my eyes disappeared making them appear hollow and making me look closer to 40 than 34. Would a filler like Restylane or Juverderm be appropriate for me? or would I require something more invasive like some sort of surgery to dampen them, or make them disappear? Also, because of it, i have terrible raccoon black circles under the eyes now. It's embarrassing. My profile pic shows how hollow they have become

Doctor Answers 9

Under eye hollows? Fill them

I would think that you would get a reasonable amount of improvement from Restylane or Belotero in this area.

Birmingham Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Restylane Under Eye Treatment

Under eye hollows are a very common concern for many people of all ages. This is one of the most popular procedures in my office. I like to inject Restylane into the hollows of my patients; I find that it causes less swelling than Juverderm for a more natural look. The black circles that you see will also improve with an under eye treatment because once the hollows are filled the light will be able to reflect off your skin improving the look of the dark circles. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see if this procedure will improve your concerns.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Hollows in the under eye area and fillers

Young patients are often bothered by hollows under the eyes.  This is not a condition that needs a surgical procedure.  Injections in the tear troughs are one of the most popular procedures done in my office.  I like Restylane and Boletero for this area under the eye.  You have a straightforward cosmetic concern that is easily improved.  Please find a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in cosmetic procedures for the best results.

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 78 reviews


I exclusively use Restylane in the lower eyelids.  I believe it would work well in your eyes.  I would also suggest a chemical peel to lighten the dark circles,  a TCA (trichloroacetic acid) would help.

Anthony Perkins, MD
Short Hills Physician
4.9 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Fillers for hollows of eyes

There are several fillers that can be used for your hollow eyes, typically lasting 1-2 years, but sometimes longer. My preferred is Restylane, although Juvederm and Belotero are also good options. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 53 reviews

Filler for my type of hollow eyes?

In general, Restylane is a great filler for the tear trough, and yields a fantastic result when the treatment is performed properly. It is important to choose a skilled specialist when having these injections. A board certified dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or facial plastic surgeon are all great choices. Treating the area with filler can also help improve the appearance of the dark circles. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.  

Paul S. Nassif, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Filler for my type of hollow eyes?

In my opinion the Belotero Balance filler best for under eye hollows. You may need a few series of injections over a 3 week timeframe..//

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

Filler for my type of hollow eyes?

Based on the photos provided I think you would get a great result using Restylane for the tear troughs, this will help eliminate the dark shadow and also the hollowness. I suggest you seek a reputable board certified physician for an in-person evaluation

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 496 reviews

Filler for under eyes?

From your photo, I think a hyaluronic acid filler like Restylane or Juvederm could improve your under eye hollowness.  It does not appear that surgery would help you at this point.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.