Is filler Belotero a good filler for under eye thinning skin and to fill in hollows?

Belotero for tear troughs

While all HA fillers have many properties that are the same, they also have some that are different.  Belotero is a more thin product and is therefore one of the better products for that area.  when skin is thin you want to make sure not to cause any lumps and bumps and to not have it visable.  Belotero is a smooth thin product that will give an excellent result in the hollow under eye area. 

#Beletero for tear troughs

Dear 'maggietaoist:'

Because of its rheologic characteristics, Beletero is the filler I use the most in the tear trough area. Some of the characteristics that differentiate HA fillers include their degree of crosslinking, their concentrations, gel hardness, viscosity and cohesivity. Belotero Balance, which was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 2011, is a monophasic double-crosslinked HA gel based on Cohesive Polydensified Matrix (CPM) technology that creates a low-viscosity gel product with variable densities of crosslinking in one cohesive structure. The variable zones of crosslinking allow for the product to integrate nicely into nooks and crannies in the dermis and the subcutaneous layer, resulting in smooth, natural-looking augmentation outcomes. The very elastic and cohesive properties of Belotero allow for the gel to be injected evenly and spread homogeneously across the targeted area and into the surrounding tissues. it will not create a bluish hue. In my experience, it can last easily for a year or more in this area.

Restylane can provide wonderful results under the eyes as well, especially when there are deep hollows that need to be filled and lifted. If Restylane is placed too superfically it can create a bluish hue via the Tyndall effect whereby when light passes through it, red and yellow hues are absorbed but blue wavelengths are reflected back.

Studies have indicated that the longevity of Beletero, Juvederm and Restylane are the same, and, in this area, that has been my experience, although Beletero does not last as long when injected in fine lines,as it does in deeper tissues, and may not last as long in the lips as would some other fillers.

Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Belotero for eye hollows

Belotero can be an excellent filler for under eye hollows. It is a very thin and smooth product which allows it to be safely placed more superficially or in areas of thinner skin. There are other options as well, such as Restylane which tends to be a popular choice for this area. The bottom line is that the most important factor is the injector, not what is being injected. Within reason, many products can be used to achieve identical effects as long as the injector is skilled and experienced. Best to find a good cosmetic dermatologist to help you with your concerns. Good luck!

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Filling the hollows under the eyes

Thank you for your question. Belotero can be used to fill the hollows under the eyes. Another filler that is commonly used is Restylane. You should consult your Plastic Surgeon to see what would be best for you.  

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Belotero is an excellent filler for volumizing lower eyelid hollowness

Hello, I have been using Belotero almost exclusively for lower eyelid augmentation for at least 5 years.  Belotero is an excellent choice for this area as it does not attract much water unlike other hyaluronic acid fillers.  Please realize that Belotero is not FDA approved for augmenting this area so using this product in the lower eyelid region is technically an off-label use.  That does not mean however that it is not an appropriate option to improve the appearance of the Lowe eyelids. The filler will certainly add volume to the region but do not expect it to improve the quality of your skin. If you have thin skin now, you will still have thin skin after the treatment.  You can improve your skin texture, tone and clarity by treating the skin itself. That is a whole separate answer.  Depending on your amount of volume loss, you may desire 1-2 cc of product and possibly more. Also, it is very important that your injector is experienced in performing this treatment.  The good news with the use of any hyaluronic acid filler such as Belotero, is that it is reversible with an enzyme called hyaluronidase.  If you have an uneven area or "high" area, the reversal agent works very well.  If you have a good injector and you are a good candidate for this treatment, you should be quite pleased with the result.  Also, hyaluronic acid fillers placed in this area, last a surprisingly long time.  12-24 months of noticeable improvement is common.  Take care.

Ryan Mitchell, DO, FAOCO
Henderson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bolotero

Bolotero is a good option for under eyes. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to go over all your options.

Good Luck!

Tear Trough Correction

"If I have a hammer - the world is a nail!"
Many physicians are comfortable injecting Hyaluronic Acid fillers under the eyes and in the tear troughs. However, when reviewing the patient complaints, many are complaining of the lumps and bumps that they see. The truth is that almost all HA fillers are too cohesive to get a smooth natural result and for those that are happy, the volume replacement is small.
The best treatment for tear troughs is fat injections. Fat is replacing fat that was lost to gravity and age. 
Now with microcannulas the results are less traumatic and more predictable.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Under eye hollows #Belotero

My filler of choice for under the eyes is Belotero because it has not clumping and no tyndall effect.  Thereofre it gives a very smooth result.  Good Luck

Belotero for tear troughs

Belotero is an excellent choice because it is a thin product. This matters in areas, such as the tear troughs, where the skin is thin. The only drawback is that it lasts around 6 months in most patients. Be well, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

Belotero Under Eyes

Belotero is a really wonderful under eye filler and especially created for the delicate under eye area.  It is the only filler that does not produce the Tyndall effect which could potentially leave a bluish hue under the eyes in the injection site.  Best, Dr. Green