Juvederm Under Eyes and Left Me With Blister Like Results? (photo)

Can you please advise me on what would be the best procedure to correct my under eye area. I had Juverderm injections and it left me with blister like results that lasted two years, and then chemical peels that left my face very smooth but did not nothing to tighten the lower eye area. I am now leaning to having transconjunctival blepharoplasty done, but I dont want to spend more money and have undesirable results. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Doctor Answers 4

Filler can help under eye bags but not for everyone

For people who aren't ready for eyelid surgery, called blepharoplasty, filler such as Restylane can soften the under eye bags. This is done by filling the hollow under the bags that reduces the "valley" between two "hills" (the bag and the cheek mound). I prefer Restylane but some people use Juvederm. IF this looks too puffy or like a "blister" the filler may have collected a little too much under the skin. This can be removed with an enzyme injection called hyaluronidase.

Otherwise, a blepharoplasty can go farther in treating under eye. For the specific procedure, a personal exam is very important by a facial specialist.

New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 126 reviews

Lower lid surgery

As the originator of the SOOF lift blepharoplasty I can tell you that in my opinion this is the best procedure for improving the puffy/hollow look under the eyes that accompanies the aging process. I've been doing nothing but this procedure since I originally published this approach around 1999 in the Archives of Facial Plastic. The only thing that gives me cause for concern looking at your photos is that you may have "malar bags" (also sometimes called festoons). This condition runs in families and is due to interstitial edema (excess water between otherwise normal cells) and presents in the cheek area underneath and lateral to the lower lid as a wave like swelling. It is difficult to eradicate this problem surgically but a good "SOOF lift blepharoplasty" has helped to hide this problem. Seek a facial specialist and get two to three opinions. Look at their photos, lots of them. If they are unable to provide them that is a red flag. Try and avoid an open or subciliary incision (one located just below the lower eyelashes).

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

Juvederm Under Eyes and Left Me With Blister Like Results?

Sorry for your issues. I might consider fat grafting to tear troughs before surgery. BTW you do have very oily skin complexion so shadowing is heightened. 

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

Juvederm Under Eyes and Left Me With Blister Like Results?

   Juvederm does tend to recruit more fluid to area of injection, which is not as desirable in the thin skin around the eyelids.  Restylane is probably a better choice.  I would not recommend eyelid surgery as you have very little fat herniation.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 496 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.