Which would you recommend; Chin implant vs Orthognathic surgery?

This is my 2nd time asking which would be best. Not sure which surgery is best. My jaw is uneven (asymmetric) and have a slight overbite. I would like to even out my facial features and my weak chin has bothered me all my life. I think it's why I'm not satisfied w/my nose. It's my chin, not nose! Help? Please? TY!

Chin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
barbie9706, if your bite is an issue seek the opinion of a reputable orthodontist. Should they be able to straighten out you bite  then get this done. Afterwards, get a chin implant. I would recommend breaking your jaw only if the orthodontist recommends this approach. Good luck!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sliding genioplasty versus cosmetic chin implant

A sliding genioplasty is performed when the teeth are significantly out of alignment, is performed by an oral surgeon under general anesthesia in a hospital with an overnight stay.  Chin implants are performed only for cosmetic purposes to bring the chin forward  and are performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure that takes approximately 30 minutes. For many examples of chin implants, please see the link and the video below

Hi, I have performed many chin augmentations, using chin implants, over the past 30 years.  From the photos your chin is quite weak.  When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face appear shorter which de-emphasizes the shape and fullness of the lips.  Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found placing a silastic chin implant through a small, curved, incisions under the chin to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty that requires bone cuts with placement of screws and metal plates.

I would also like to point out that from the attached photos, the cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess facial and neck fat along with excess facial skin evidenced by jowls and nasolabial folds.  These combine to create a rectangular shaped face that's a relatively masculine facial shape.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.

Jowls are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured.  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

Hope this helps.

Orthoganthic Surgery or Implant

These two surgeries do not replace each other. You would be a great candidate to have a jaw surgery and a chin osteotomy at the same time for an optimal outcome. A chin implant, in my opinion, is not an ideal choice for a condition like yours.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon