Can my nose become more symmetrical? (photos)

I was wondering if the lower part of my nose can be more symmetrical? I want my right side to match the left side (right side in picture). What type of procedure would be required?

Rhinoplasty for greater nasal symmetry

Thank you for the question and photos. Rhinoplasty can enlarge or reduce the nose as well as reshape the bridge and nasal tip. This procedure can certainly help to make your nose more symmetrical. In fact, even slight changes to the shape of the nose can produce a dramatic effect on appearance, improve your breathing, and fill you with self-confidence. As always, an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Rhinoplasty to straighten a crooked nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish straightening  the crooked nose. To straighten crooked nasal bones requires osteotomies. To straighten the midportion of the nose requires a spreader graft placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage in the midportion of the nose. To straighten the nasal tip cartilages requires asymmetrical cartilage removal and possible cartilage grafting techniques applied to the lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty

The asymmetry in your nose appears to be in the tip with a different shape to the lower alar cartilages at the lateral dome area. One side is more full than the other. As an isolated procedure, lower alar cartilage reshaping on one side could be done by a closed rhinoplasty approach.

Nasal symmetry

Thanks for your post. Attempting to achieve symmetry in the nose is one of the primary aims in many nasal surgeries. A rhinoplasty (nasal surgery) would be necessary to address asymmetries in the cartilaginous and or bony framework of the nose. I suggest you begin by consulting with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who can perform an in-person exam and discuss with you the options that may exist in treating your nose. During this time you can also have photographic imaging performed to simulate the effects of surgery. Best of luck!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Goals

A rhinoplasty specialist will be able to comprehensively address the issues you have with your nose. While there are a variety of approaches and techniques employed by various surgeons, it is up to you to do your due diligence to find a rhinoplasty specialist in order to achieve the best results possible. Using autologous grafts (tissue and cartilage from your own body) will provide the safest and most permanent results. Looking at computer-morphed images with your surgeon during consultation will give you a good idea of what is possible, and also give you a great chance to convey to your surgeon what you envision.

Donald B. Yoo, MD