Buffalo Hump Removal: Unable to Locate Experienced Surgeon in My Area

I am female, 31 years, 5'5", 125 lbs. and have a hereditary "buffalo hump." Several family members, including my mother, also have this deformity. I have seen a specialist; and upon examination of my X-rays, he confirmed that my spine is perfectly normal. He suggested that I consult with a plastic surgeon regarding liposuction to the area. However, I am having difficulty locating a surgeon in Kentucky (or neighboring states) that has experience performing this procedure. Any suggestions?

Liposuction for a Buffalo Hump is straightforward

The fat on the upper back referred to as a "buffalo hump" is s very straightforward are to treat with liposuction. This is a very stubborn, genetically-determined, fat deposition that no amount of diet and exercise will take care of. An experienced liposuction surgeon will be able to help you with this.

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

"Buffalo Hump"

There are many excellent Plastic Surgeons in the Kentucky, Southern Indiana and Ohio area experienced in the treatment of "localized fat pockets".  Take your x rays and make an appointment with a Plastic Surgeon. Expect though that this will be considered a cosmetic procedure . That means your insurance will not pick up the bills for the procedure.

Guido P. Gutter, MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction procedure is versatile

Liposuction can be performed on any area of the body, including the "Buffalo Hump".  I have treated this area successfully on many occasions.  Look for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs liposuction frequently in your location and schedule a consultation to talk about your problem.  

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Buffalo humps respond well to ultrasonic liposuction

Thank you for your question. Buffalo humps due to an unusual collection of fat in that area generally respond well to liposuction. In my experience, using ultrasonic liposuction allows me to get better results with treating buffalo humps as sometimes this fat can be a little resistant to standard liposuction. If Columbus, OH is not too far for you, I would be happy to see you for a consultation.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Any plastic surgeon that does liposuction can help you. There is nothing special or unusual about the fat in a buffalo hump.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Liposuction

There are several experienced plastic surgeons in Lexington, capable of suctioning any area. I have been in practice over 20 years but have never suctioned a "hump", but the technique is the same s any other area.

Buffalo Hump Liposuction

Buffalo humps can be very effectively reduced using either Smartlipo or Power-Assisted Liposuction. (PAL) This is not an uncommon liposuction procedure so you should eventually be able to find a surgeon in your area.

Buffalo hump

A buffalo hump can be trick to treat with only liposuction. Sometimes it requires direct excision as well.

Buffalo Hump Removal - Liposuction Treatment

I have had good success with treating this condition. Liposuction is the best treatment and I recommend that you proceed with this.

Expect to have significant improvement with the operation, but remember that surgery makes it better not perfect.

Recover is reasonably easy. My recommendation is 3-5 days off from work and driving.

Look for a board certified plastic surgeon for your surgery.

Best luck!

Chris Saunders MD

Christopher Saunders, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

There is nothing particularly challenging about this treatment.  Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA