Will breast augmentation help my puffy areolas to normalize slightly? Make them not as puffy? (Photo)

I'm 20 and have wanted silicone breast implants for a while now (I've done more research than a normal person would have done) but I have puffy nipples, extremely similar to the pictures posted. Will a round implant help more than an anatomical one? Will it help at all? In my head, my thought process is that implants will round out the areolas and the skin will be taute around the implant so the areolas will no longer be puffy, am I correct or even in the ballpark?

Puffy nipples may mean mild constriction or tuberous

For the best breast augmentation results in tuberous breasts, simply enlarging the breasts isn’t the answer. The constricted tissue that’s responsible for forcing the breasts into a tubular shape may also make the areolas more puffy appearing. This can sometimes be treated with dual plane dissection and radial relaxing incisions for the breast tissue to be released to allow the breasts to take on a fuller, rounder profile. As long as this surgical step is performed (the steps are somewhat similar to a breast lift), you could see nice results from a round breast implant. If the areolas are large a circumareolar mastopexy (donut lift) may be required to limit the increase in size of the areola.   

Puffy areola

Breast implants will not make "puffy areola" better and can sometimes make it worse. A circumareolar mastopexy or breast lift may help flatten the breast over the implant making the skin taute around the implant as your mentioned. You do not seem to have a bad case of this regardless. Best of luckJosh Olson MD

Implants

I prefer to implants round smooth implants in most patients. However, the implants will not make your areola less puffy.  

Will breast augmentation help my puffy areolas to normalize slightly? Make them not as puffy?

An implant is not likely to change a "puffy areola" and the ones in the picture look normal. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Puffy Nipples

Placing breast implants behind a puffy areolar region will not make it less noticeable. Usually it makes it even more obvious by the push of the implant. Only an excision of areolar tissue can reduce the puffiness.

PUFFY NIPPLES AND BREAST AUGMENTATION

Hello. Puffy areolas and nipples can either protrude more or dissipate when a breast implant is placed behind them. Unfortunately, you mention that the photos posted are of a similar nature and apparently not yours. In any case, if your specific case requires surgical treatment, periareolar placement of the implants (incision on the lower half of the areola borders) can be done in order to correct this condition at the same time as breast augmentation. In some other cases, a breast crease incision may be indicated to correct tuberous breasts that can also cause puffiness in the area. Your surgeon will be able to individualize treatment options once he sees the actual anatomy.

Jaime Caloca, Jr., MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Puffy Areolas

Breast augmentation usually makes protruding areolae protrude more. The skin of the areolae is different from the rest of the breast skin. The areoles will be pushed forward. There are techniques to reduce that tendency but they require some scarring. If the areolae are your only concern, I wouldn't recommend an augmentation.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Will implants help puffy areolae

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by puffy areolae. Implants will tend to take up slack if there is some in the areolae. It shouldn't matter whether it is a round or anatomical implant. The size of the implant will matter however. Know that at your age the use of silicone implants would be considered "off label," since the FDA recommends them for women at least 22 years of age. Be sure and communicate all of your concerns when you go for a consult. Good luck.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Puffy Nipple Correction?

A breast augmentation can and will change the areola appearance, but there are some maneuvers that can be done internally during the surgery to help as well.  Releasing any constricting tissue around the areola internally can help flatten out the nipple areola complex over time.  As far as implants, a smooth round device is usually the preferred implant in breast augmentation cases.  You are welcome to come in for a consultation and see what will work best for you.  

Will breast augmentation help my puffy areolas to normalize slightly?

Thank you for the question and pictures. No, breast augmentation surgery alone, regardless of the type of breast implants used, will not   necessarily "treat"  the appearance of the areola puffiness (which is one of the features often seen with patients who have constricted/tuberous breasts).
 Patients who have a priority of reduction of areola "puffiness" often benefit from circumareolar reduction of breast tissue/skin.