My right cheek hurts, and it seems a bit swollen. Can I get an infection two years after injecting voluma?

Can my faciala extractions contributed?

Swollen right cheek.

Thank you for your question. It is unlikely you will be experiencing an infection from Voulma injected 2 years ago, but can't be ruled out without an in person assessment. You can speak with your injector and consider a hyaluronidase injection to dissolve left over product. Any time you have a foreign body introduced into the skin there is a chance of infection.

Be assessed by your injecting physician.

Swollen Cheek

Thank you for your question. I would recommend seeing your medical provider to assess this concern. Since Voluma was injected a long time ago, I don’t think this is the problem. I would check with your aesthetician if you were recently seen for facial extraction. I hope this helps!

Swelling years after Voluma injection

While it is uncommon to see late reactions to Voluma injection, such a thing is not impossible.  I would undergo evaluation by an expert injector who is familiar with the complications and side effects that Voluma can produce to determine whether what you are experiencing is related to your injections.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Side Effect two years after Voluma

Voluma is a terrific injection for the immediate lifting of the mid face.  I have never personally heard of an infection two years after but I would consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with facial injections to assess the situation.

Swelling long after Voluma Injection

Although you have not provided a photograph of your swelling it is possible that any injectable can precipitate a biofilm infection long after the initial injection. If the swelling or any signs of inflammation persists then consult an infectious disease specialist and also consider dissolving the Voluma with hyaluronidase. Best of luck! 

Joel E. Kopelman, MD, FACS
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Infection two years after Voluma

It would be unlikely that you'd have an infection 2 years after Voluma and have Voluma be the culprit. There is a very good chance that facial extractions could have given you an infection. I see this all the time - and it's a big reason I don't recommend extractions! See a doctor as you may need a prescription.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."