Teardrop gummy bear implants. Would it be best for me to go over the muscle?

I had my first consultation Nov.13 ...for a breast lift whit implants ....the doctor said it whit be best teardrop gummy bear over the muscle whit a lollipop inscison...I chose 465 cc ....my bra size now is 34D..my breast are 12 cm WD ....I am not sure whit over the muscle implants its making me nervous is it a good choice for me ?????

Greeeting

There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon., from your photos you look to be a great candidate for breastlift plus implants. Asymmetrical  breasts then and you are not happy for this situation; then you can be a good candidate for breast augmentation operation. As it was also mentioned above,  small breast can be something that woman might want change. However choosing the right operation is the most important step in the planning of the operation. Therefore understanding the needs and the expectation of the patient is the most important thing and it needs a successful evaluation.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Need photographs

Of course it would be helpful if you posted photographs, so specific opinions could be made.  Texture silicone implants an be placed over the muscle.  Whether you  need a lift would be better assessed visually.

Gummy Bear implants (textured implants) will work quite nicely over the muscle. Still, the encapsulation rate may be higher over the muscle than behind the muscle.
Another problem that I encounter with textured implants through the years was that they occasionally show wrinkles if the patient has minimal breast tissue. Also there is a higher tendency toward implant capsule failure with textured implants, now called gummy bears.
On the positive side, textured implants tend to encapsulate less frequently than smooth implants, although I did see an occasional encapsulation with them.
Keep in mind that you do not do massaging exercises with textured implants as you want them to adhere to the breast.
Good luck with your procedure.

Lift with implants and gummy bears

In my opinion you have nothing to fear from gummy bears over the muscle. It will drive the shape of the breast nicely.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Options with breast augmentation

I would ask all my patients if they have any questions to the plan and encourage them to listen to another voice. A second opinion is helpful and will assist with your understanding. 

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Gels over the muscle

Although gummy bear implants do better over the muscle than other gel implants, I am quite sure that the data remains compelling to put them under the muscle, possibly even in a dual plane III position.

Right placement for implants with a breast lift

Thanks for writing,

I agree completely with Dr Morgan, a second opinion will only help you get a better understand of your choices. I personally like sub-muscular implants.  Capsules are less problematic, infection is less and the breast is separated from the implant by the muscle to name a few. Remember you are adding slightly more than one pound of weight to each side of your chest wall. You should consider the effects of this weight when it come to exercise / running / jogging. In some cases the extra weight can cause back, neck, shoulder and arm discomfort. Speak with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and let him / her give you the information that you can process to help you make an accurate decision for yourself.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills PLastic Surgery

Thank you so much for your question about the placement of your breast implants with your breast lift.

This is difficult -
The gummy bear implants are excellent and look lovely over the muscle.
And you appear to have plenty of breast tissue to cover the implant.

But it also appears you selected A large implant to be placed with a vertical lift.
This combination does have a higher risk of complications because the large implant can put pressure on the lift, causing poor healing and exposure of the implant - which then needs to be removed.

To reduce this risk, I tend to prefer smaller implants and place them under the muscle when doing a lift.
When in doubt, a second opinion can help.
But a lot depends on how much lift you need.

I suggest that you go back to your surgeon to discuss these issues:
  • the higher risk of the implant having to be removed if you get an infection and it is over the muscle,
  • whether you can avoid having the lift - with this size implant, will you still need it done
  • whether you should stage the operation, with the lift first and the implant later on.
  • whether s/he will use a sizer and have smaller implant available in case it is needed.
  • or whether s/he will put the implant in first and tailor the skin over the implant.
This discussion may reassure you about the surgical plan - or you and your surgeon together may come up with a different plan.

Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!

Teardrop gummy bear implants. Would it be best for me to go over the muscle?Your questions require a full examination and discus

Your questions require a full examination and discussion of goals and cannot be given in this format. You probably would benefit from getting several consultations. Also, there is no way to even give you any rough idea of what might work when we have no idea what you look like.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Although I cannot provide you with precise advice without direct examination and a full communication of your goals, some general thoughts about breast augmentation done in the sub muscular versus sub glandular position may be helpful to you.
There are pros and cons to the placement of breast implants and the “sub muscular” position versus the "sub glandular position”.   
I think it is in the best interests of most patients seeking breast augmentation surgery to have implants placed in the “dual plane” or sub muscular position.  This positioning allows for more complete coverage of the breast implants leading to generally more natural feel/look  of the implants in the long-term. This position will also decrease the potential for rippling and/or palpability  of the implants (which may increase with time, weight loss, and/or post-pregnancy changes).

The submuscular positioning  also tends to interfere with mammography less so than in the sub glandular position. The incidence of breast implant encapsulation (capsular  contraction)  is also decreased with implants placed in the sub muscular position.
On the other hand,  sub glandular breast implant positioning does not have the potential downside of “animation deformity” ( movement/ distortion of the breast implants  seen with flexion of the  pectoralis major muscle)  they can be seen with breast implants placed in these sub muscular position.  
 I hope this, and the attached link, helps.