I am about to get a weight trainer & start losing weight & i plan on getting a breast reduction after. which should i do 1st ?

Breast reduction

This is a great question! In my opinion, if you can work out with the weight trainer without too much difficulty, then wait until you reach your goal weight. Your #breast #reduction after weight loss will be very pleasing to you! If your breasts make exercise difficult, then you can obtain a breast reduction before working out. You would have to keep in mind that having a breast reduction before exercise and weight loss could leave you with saggy breasts/skin, which you would want a revision surgery to repair.  Best wishes to you!

Losing weight before plastic surgery

It depends.
You will have a better aesthetic result if you loose the weight before your procedure. However, if you find it difficult to exercise due to the weight on your chest, then have your surgery. If you need to have your surgery first, be prepared to expect saggy breasts again after loosing weight.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss and Breast Reduction

Thank you very much for your question.

It's a very common one.

If your breasts aren't too bothersome, and you feel you are able to work out effectively with your current breast size, then I recommend you start with workouts.

If your breasts are very bothersome (back/neck pain) and would interfere with your workouts, then I recommend getting the breast reduction first.  Afterward, with your workouts, your breasts may continue to get smaller, which is something you should know if you elect to go with this pathway.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

When to get a breast reduction

This is a great question that I hear from many patients. If you are able to work out right now without too much discomfort, I recommend that you go ahead and start working out with the trainer now and then schedule your surgery in a few months once you have reached your weight loss goals. This way we can perform the breast reduction (and possible breast lift) once you are closer to your goal weight. However, if working out is very uncomfortable for you due to the size of your breasts, we can do the surgery now and then you can comfortably start your exercise plan. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

What should I do first?

Hello dear, thanks for your post. Patients should always try to be at a stable weight before any surgery, especially if their weight might affect the final result.

Most doctors ask the patient to do what is reasonablly possible, not get down to some impossible weight.

I recommend to visit a board certified plastic surgeon to talk about your goals and for a person evaluation.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Lose weight first!

You should absolutely lose weight first!  Weight changes may affect your results, so I always recommend that my patients be at a stable weight before pursuing plastic surgery.  If you have surgery first, then lose weight you might find yourself needing a breast lift.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Lose the weight before a breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  By losing weight before your breast reduction, you would optimize your aesthetic result and decrease your peri-operative risks.  Further, if you lost the weight after the breast reduction, it would risk distorting and deflating your breasts, resulting in a poor aesthetic outcome.  It's a no brainer!  Lose the weight first.  Be sure to consult with an experienced plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Definitely lose the weight first

Without a doubt!  You will get such a better result and have a safer surgery if you lose the weight first.  It would be a shame to have the surgery, get a beautiful result and then lose weight and your breast lose their shape and volume.  Best of luck and kudos to you for the decision to go forward with this.  Breast reduction is life-changing and you won't believe how much better you look and feel.

-JGH

I am about to get a weight trainer & start losing weight

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. It will be in your best interests to reach ( as close to possible to) a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with the surgery. Doing so will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation while decreasing risk, andwill minimize chances that additional surgery will be necessary subsequently. Being close to your long-term stable weight will also give your health insurance company one less “excuse” not to authorize the procedure.

Breast reduction or weight reduction first?

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

• Weight reduction first - you have an excellent plan!
  • Once your weight is near your normal weight, then have a consultation with a plastic surgeon.
  • Depending on your breasts now and after weight loss, you may just need a breast lift, not a reduction.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes